Smith - Yerick
JAMES W. SMITH, ESQ., (Montgomery) p. 247(1)
James W. Smith, Esq., was born March 2, 1818. His father, John V. Smith, then resided three miles east of Wooster, Ohio, and owned what was known as Smith’s mill, situated on Apple creek. In 1824 he built a mill in Cedar valley, six miles northwest of Wooster, where he lived until 1841, after which he continued to reside in Wooster until his death, January 24, 1852.
James W. was the fourth son, and was one of a family of thirteen children by the same parents. An early age he manifested a strong desire for education, and soon acquired a knowledge of all the branches then taught in the common schools. At the age of fifteen he left the paternal home and engaged in a drugstore, with Dr. J. P. Coulter, of Wooster, but, after an experience of about one year, he was engaged by his eldest brother, V. C. Smith, as a clerk in his dry goods store at Congress (then Waynesburgh), where he remained another year, when his brother sold out and quit business there. It was then that he fully determined to engage in literary pursuits, and not being satisfied with a common school education, he and his brother, William Harrison Smith, shouldered their bundles of clothing, and, for want of a better mode of travel, footed it across the country to the then famous Norwalk academy, in two days, a distance of fifty miles, where he remained until 1835, when the academy building burned down. The school was temporarily suspended, and Mr. Smith returned to Wooster, and became a clerk in the store of V. C. Smith & Co., the firm consisting of his brother and father.
In 1837 he, in company with his friend, the late Samuel Hemphill, esq., of Wooster, took passage on a canal boat at Canal Fulton, for the Ohio university, at Athens, Ohio, and, having reached Lancaster, they were compelled to foot it across to Athens, a distance of forty-five miles, there being neither stage-coach, canal, or railroad, between the towns at that time. Hope then boomed, and the prospect was fair for a classical education, but, after studying the languages and higher mathematics for a year or more, he was induced to suspend the collegiate course, and entered the law practice of the late Judge Cox, of Wooster, and, in the month of October, 1841, was admitted to practice as an attorney and counsellor-at-law, at Millersburgh, Ohio. He first commenced practice at Bucyrus, Ohio, but, on the death of Silas Robbins, esq., an old lawyer well known to the older settlers of this county, Mr. Smith located at Ashland, in July, 1842, and opened a law practice with his late preceptor, Judge Cox, as his partner.
Ashland county had no existence at that time, but was part of Richland county, and, in this connection, it is worthy of note, that having experienced the great inconvenience of practicing law away from the county-seat, and feeling that the growing demands of the time for a new county must give Ashland the superiority over all other localities, at the suggestion of the late I. P. Reznor, Mr. Smith took measures to call the first new county meeting that was ever held in Ashland, by giving notice in person to the citizens of the town to meet at the counting-room of Luther & Crall, at a time named, to consider the question of a new county, with Ashland as the county-seat. The meeting was accordingly held, and he was made chairman of the committee, and actually drafted the notice and petitions to be signed by the citizens, and presented it to the legislature, fixing the boundaries of the proposed new county. In the winter of 1845-46, being the second session of the legislature after the enterprise began, it was successful, and the county of Ashland began its own independent existence, and thus became historic.
In the month of October, 1843, James W. Smith was married to Miss Augusta Burnham, who was then attending the Ashland academy as a pupil, residing with her sister, the late Mrs. T. W. B. Hibbard. She was born at Rumney, New Hampshire, September 29, 1823, where she lived until she came to Ashland, at the age of eighteen; and having been born and raised beneath the shade of the granite mountains of her native state, and possessed of more than an ordinary share of the graces of her sex, with admirable health and personal attractions, she found it no hard task to capture the young Buckeye lawyer, and to this day it is said he still entertains the opinion that she has lost none of the qualities that so much ennoble and dignify woman in all the relations of life.
The children consisted of two sons and two daughters. The two youngest, Charlie and May, died in childhood, the former at seven, the latter at two and a-half years old.
George B. Smith was admitted to the bar as an attorney at law in the year 1867, and has been his father’s law partner ever since. He was elected prosecuting attorney of the county in 1878, and was married to Miss Jessie Sutherland, daughter of the Hon. J. W. Sutherland, of St. Louis, Missouri, on the 29th day of May, 1879.
Belle H. Smith was married December 1, 1869, to Frederick S. Hanford, esq., an educated and talented young lawyer of Akron, Ohio, who died January 29, 1879, of congestion of the lungs, after a brief illness, leaving two little daughters, Ethel and Grace Hanford, the fruits of said marriage.
Mr. Smith has been in the active practice of law since his settlement in Ashland, and by close application to the business of the profession, careful and thorough investigation and preparation of cases confided to him, and a strict regard for the interests of his clients, prompt attention and honest and fair dealing in all matters of business, has secured to him a larger share of public confidence as a lawyer, and a greater number and variety of cases than fall to the lot of most lawyers, which, together with his temperance principles and Christian character, entitles him to the confidence and respect of all men as a citizen, and place him as a member of the legal profession in a position worthy of the emulation of the fraternity. During his long residency he has been identified more or less with all the enterprises and business interests of Ashland, has at various times been placed in nomination by his party for office, in earlier times for prosecuting attorney and state senator, and later for judge of the court of common pleas of the sixteenth judicial district, third sub-division, composed of Ashland, Richland and Morrow counties; but being a Republican in politics, although in the latter instance he ran five hundred votes ahead of his ticket, it was not enough to overcome the Democratic majority of his judicial district, and therefore was not successful. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
JOHN SMITH (Troy) p. 256(1)
John Smith was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, October 1, 1822. He learned the trade of a carpenter in Stark county, in 1843-4. In 1845 he married Rebecca Fettehoff, and in 1849 removed to Troy township, Ashland county, and purchased a small farm. He became a farmer-mechanic for some years, and finally abandoned his trade to become an agriculturalist.
Mr. Smith is of German descent. His father, Frederick Smith, came from Germany in 1821. He died in Stark county, Ohio, in 1854, at an advanced age. His children were: Frederick, who died in Troy township, Ashland county, in 1864; John, of Troy; Savilla, wife of Jacob Hipp, of Troy; Mary, wife of Michael Auer, of Indiana; Christian and Andrew, of DeKalb, Indiana.
The family of John consists of Elizabeth, wife of Michael Merkel, of Michigan; Jacob F., married to Sephrona Fast, of Huron county, Ohio; James Smith; Hannah, wife of Oran Chapman, of Lorain county; and Mary, William, Loretta, Pheba, Lydia, and Emma, unmarried.
Mr. Smith is a good business man, and noted for his strong common sense and frankness. He has been elected trustee of Troy township five times, although the party with which he affiliates is in the minority. At the spring election of 1876, he was elected a justice of the peace. He is very active in propagating his political ideas, though always courteous to his political opponents.
When he entered Troy township, the primitive forest, with here and there a small clearing, and a few cabins, covered the township. It is now greatly improved. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
MR. SAMUEL SMITH (Milton) p. 256(1)
Mr. Samuel Smith was born in New Milford township, Litchfield county, Connecticut, May 23, 1800. At the age of 15 years he was apprenticed to learn the trade of carpenter and house joiner, and served six years. At the expiration of his apprenticeship he married, and followed his trade for ten years, in his native State. In 1832 he removed to Lorain county, Ohio, where he again resumed his trade. While a citizen of Lorain county, he took an active part in military organizations, and was elected captain, and subsequently promoted to lieutenant colonel, and finally colonel of his regiment. In 1837 he located in Milton township, Richland, now Ashland, county. While a citizen of Milton, he served twelve years as justice of the peace, and acquitted himself to the satisfaction of his friends. Milton was largely Democratic, and Colonel Smith was an old Whig. His integrity and uprightness elevated him above party bias, rendered him personally popular, and hence, he was re-elected to the same position twice. In 1860 he disposed of his farm and removed to Ashland, where in 1863, his excellent lady deceased, aged sixty-three years. He again married. Mr. Smith for many years was an active and influential member of the Presbyterian church. His family consisted of Orlow, Riley, Charles, Nelson, Augustus, Lemon and three daughters. Orlow served in the late war, and was promoted to brigadier-general. Nelson fell at the sanguinary battle of Chickamauga. The rest of the family, we believe, all survive.
Mr. Smith died September 22, 1876. The funeral services were conducted by Elder N. P. Lawrence, of the Disciple or Christian church, at the late residence of Colonel Smith, South Ashland, at two o’clock p. m., Sabbath, September 24th, when his remains were conducted to and deposited in the cemetery of Ashland. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
LOUIS JEFFERSON SPRENGLE (Montgomery) p. 253(1)
Louis Jefferson Sprengle was born in Frederick city, Maryland, January 26, 1824. His father, David Sprengle, was born in York county, Pennsylvania, in 1796, and died in Frederick city, Maryland, in 1832, of cholera. Captain David Sprengle was a soldier in the war of 1812, entering the army at Baltimore, in 1814, at the age of eighteen years. He was a direct descendent of the same family from whom Dr. Kurt Sprengle, the celebrated German botanist, of Halle university, descended. The family emigrated from Prussia, Germany, to this country about the year 1760, and settled in that part of Pennsylvania known as York county. His father served as a private soldier in the Revolutionary army for American independence. His mother, Caroline M. A. Ruth, was of German descent. Her grandfather Jacob Mendart, was one of the staunchest supporters of the American Revolution, and in his hotel, in Frederick, Maryland at that critical period was the rendezvous of the patriots of that trying time. General Washington always made his hotel his stopping place, when passing through Frederick. He furnished the army of the Revolution with many thousand dollars of supplies, taking his pay in continental money, and leaving several barrels of it as a legacy to his children. Her father was in the war of 1812, and rose to the rank of captain. Having, during his early boyhood, attended a select school in Frederick City, our subject came to Ohio, unto his parents, in 1835, and settled in Ashland. Until 1839 he was employed as a clerk in a store. In the public schools and in the Ashland academy he finished his education. He then learned the trade of cabinet-maker, and work at it subsequently in Ashland, Mansfield, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. While in Mansfield keeping up his studies, he walked over to Ashland each Saturday for the purpose of reciting to Professor Lorin Andrews, afterwards professor of Kenyon College. While working at Pittsburgh, during the year of the great fire in that city, in 1845, all his books, about three hundred volumes, educational and miscellaneous, were burned. Returning to Ashland, year worked at his trade for two years. He was then appointed agent for that county for the old Protection Fire Insurance company, of Hartford county, in which position he remained until that company ceased to do business. He then, in connection with J. O. Jennings, Abraham Huffman, Joseph Wasson, G. W. Urie, Joseph Musgrove, Peter Resser, Hugh Burns, J. B. F. Samsel, and B. B. Clark, on the eighth of February, 1851, as incorporators, procured a special charter from the legislature of the state of Ohio, and organized the Ashland County Mutual Fire Insurance company, of which he was elected secretary, and has retained that position ever since, and for the last six years also performing the duties of treasurer. Up to 1869 he also performed the duties of general agent and adjuster. Under his management this company has been very successful, his business being done on what is known as the twenty per cent plan, and without making any assessment on the premium notes. For twenty-five years they took none but the safer kind of risks, and this practice has been but slightly departed from. Recently a few of the better class of special hazards are written up by the company for small amounts. The accumulated assets of the company, July, 1880, amount to six hundred thousand dollars, while the risks have been so carefully selected that their losses have not exceeded fifteen thousand dollars a year.
In 1853 Mr. Sprengle began the publication, at Ashland, a weekly newspaper in the interests of the old Whig party, called the Ashland Times. This he continued with the assistance respectively of the Hon. William Osborn and Josiah Locke, until the spring of 1857, when he assumed the entire control of the paper as editor and proprietor, until June, 1876, when he sold the property to his son-in-law, Joseph E. Stubbs. Under Mr. Sprengle’s management the paper became one of the most influential and prosperous weeklies in the State, and was the first paper printed on a Hoe power press, and by steam, between Cleveland and Columbus. He was the author of the agents’ hand-book of insurance, of which an edition of over ten thousand copies was sold to the underwriters of the different States; also of the manuscript reader, for the use of schools and academies, printing offices and the counting-room. His object was to learn the pupil to read readily any manuscript. Pages of manuscript for this novel work were contributed from Prof. Spencer, President Andrews, of Kenyon college, President Andrews, of the Virginia university, Horace Greeley, Rufus Chote, and other eminent scholars of the day. He was also associated with all the enterprises of the place, acting as secretary of the Ashland union mills for the manufacture of flour and woollen goods; also as president of the Ashland machine company, manufacturers of agricultural implements and clover threshers and haulers, as well as an independent manufacturer of other useful implements having an extensive sale throughout the world. He had but one brother, Henry Clay Sprengle, present treasurer of Washington county, Kansas, and a prominent citizen of that State. Also two sisters, Frances S. Locke, wife of Josiah Locke, of Indianapolis, a poetess and a lady of rare talent, and Mrs. I. P. Coates, of Chicago, Illinois. On the first of January, 1852, Mr. Sprengle married Miss Sophia W. Coffin, of Ashland, Rev. Dr. John Robinson performing the ceremony. Of this union six children all living, have been the issue: Ella A., wife of Joseph E. Stubbs; Jessie F., wife of William G. Stubbs; May Caroline, William Marston, Mattie F., and David S. During the war for the union, he was a strong supporter of the government, and a member of the safety or military committee for Ashland county. In 1862 he was appointed by President Lincoln provost marshal, with the rank of captain, which position he held until 1863. During the war his pen was eloquent in defense of the flag, and the union of the States. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
THOMAS SPROTT, JR. (Clearcreek) p. 381(1)
Mr. Sprott was born in Beaver county, State of Pennsylvania, June 9, 1802, and emigrated with his father’s family to Clearcreek township, Richland county, but now Ashland county, in the month of October, 1823, and settled on section twenty-five, where he has remained ever since. He never married, but, after the death of his father, about 1830, and aged sister kept house for him many years, until her death, some three years since, when he leased his farm to Mr. Boffenemyre, and has resided with him, and died at his residence. He experienced much trouble of late years, which seems to have shortened his days. Thomas Sprott, sr., his father, served as a scout in the war in 1790, with the celebrated Captain James Brady, a border scout, and a terror to the Wyandot and Shawnee Indians. He died in Clearcreek township about 1830, and now rests in the cemetery in Savannah. He was Seceder in faith, and Thomas Sprott, jr., always held to the same belief. He was honest man. He became a member of the Pioneer society which organized September 10, 1875. He died at his homestead in Clearcreek township, August 13, 1880, of general debility, aged seventy-eight years and two months, and was buried in the cemetery at Savannah. Peace to his ashes. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
PETER STENTZ (Orange) p. 260(1)
Peter Stentz was born in Green township, Columbiana county, Ohio, November 14, 1807. His father, Daniel Stentz, emigrated to Fayette county, Pennsylvania, when he was six months old.
In 1829 he was united in marriage to Mary Ranhaw. In 1832 they moved to New Lisbon, Ohio, and from thence to Orange township, Ashland county. He purchased the premises owned respectively by Edward Wheeler, Jacob Cline, and John Richards. He enjoyed the acquaintance and friendship of Daniel Summers, James Clark, Samuel and John Richards, Joseph and George Fast, Henry Heiffner, Philip Biddinger, and others, whom he esteemed very highly
Mr. Stentz was the father of nine children, all of whom are living, except one, and are settled in life. He also had two brothers and three sisters – all but one have left the shores of time.
Mr. Stentz was, for many years, a member of the Presbyterian church in Savannah, Ohio; subsequently he united with the Methodist Episcopal church at Troy center, and, as far as circumstances would permit, attended the means of grace that that place.
In his last sickness his sufferings were intense, but he endured as seeing Him who is invisible. A short time before his death, when asked in reference to his spiritual enjoyment, he said: “I am trusting and resting in Jesus.” He gave clear evidence to the last that the messenger of death found him prepared and ready to depart in peace. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. George W. Walker, assisted by Rev. S. G. Kaufman, in the Methodist Episcopal church at Troy. After the services his remains were laid by the side of kindred forms, in the cemetery of that place.
“Let me go; my soul is weary, Of the chain which binds it here;
Let my spirit bend its pinon, For a brighter, holier sphere.
“Earth, ‘tis true, has friends to bless me, With their fond and faithful love;
But the hands of angels beckon, Me to brighter climes above.” (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
DON F. TAYLOR (Green) p. 402 (1)
Don F. Taylor, son of Judge John Taylor, was born July 6, 1849, in Greene township, Ashland county. He obtained an education at Greenetown academy, and read law in 1873 with Andrew Stevenson of Mansfield, completing his studies with R. M. Campbell, of Ashland. In 1875 he was admitted to the bar in Henry county, and soon after formed a partnership with Mr. Campbell, which continued about one year. At the time he was admitted to the bar he was a candidate before the county convention for the office of prosecuting attorney, but did not secure the nomination. At the termination of his partnership with Mr. Campbell he went to Perrysville, where he had an office for a short time, but his father being elected probate judge of the county, he returned Ashland and became probate clerk, which position he now fills. He was married to Normanda F. Robinson, and has a family of three children – May Belle, Don R., and an infant. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
THEO. TEEPLE (Montgomery) p. 397(1)
Theo. Teeple was born November 29, 1835. His father, S. P. Teeple, was born in New York State and died in Iowa about 1840. His mother, Sarah Teeple, is also a native of New York State. After the death of her husband she was married to John Baker, and lives in Wooster, Ohio. To Mr. and Mrs. Teeple were born two children, Theo. and Ralph. Theo. Teeple, the subject of this sketch, was born in Pennsylvania. When young his parents removed to Iowa, where his father died in a few years. When about ten years of age his mother removed to Ohio. In 1862 Mr. Teeple was married to Jennie S. Bingham. They have had three children, one of whom died in infancy. Those who are living are J., born in 1863, and Albert, born about 1865. Mr. Teeple learned photography in 1861, and has since followed that business. In the fall of 1879 he removed to Ashland. Previous to that time he lived in Cincinnati from 1872 until 1876, and the remainder of the time until he removed to Ashland, was located at Wooster. He now has a photographic studio in both Wooster and Ashland. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
JOSIAH THOMAS (Orange) p. 176(1)
Josiah Thomas was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, March 9, 1804. His father, George Thomas, of Welsh descent, removed to Harrison county, Ohio, and located near Cadiz, in 1807. He was a tailor by trade, and followed his business there until 1817, when he emigrated to the village of Petersburgh, now Mifflin, Mifflin township, Ashland county. He, George Thomas, remained there several years engaged at his trade, and in keeping a hotel, the village being on the main line of travel from Canton, Wooster to Mansfield, and the west part of the State. Jacob Beam being a brother-in-law of Mr. George Thomas, and an uncle to Josiah, his two older brothers, Henry and Peter, had visited Mr. Beam, to see the country prior to the removal of the family. In 1824 George Thomas, with his family, removed to Orange township, and located upon the present homestead of Josiah Thomas. Josiah attended the common schools of the neighborhood, and adopted farming as an occupation. In 1828 he married Miss Eliza Zimmerman. His family consists of seven children—George, Henry, Warren, Mary, Elizabeth, Freelove, and Harriet. George, Henry and Elizabeth are married. Mr. Thomas is a quiet, industrious and exemplary farmer. He has never been an office-seeker; yet, against his protests, the people of his township have elected him trustee fifteen or sixteen times. When Ashland county was organized in 1846, Mr. Thomas was appointed commissioner for the short term, and elected in October, for three years, and served until 1850. He has been a member of the Disciple church about twenty years. In 1879 he was elected president of the Historical and Pioneer society of Ashland county, which office he yet holds. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
MICHAEL THOMAS (Montgomery) p. 258(1)
Michael Thomas was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, in the year 1802, and was of German descent. When about eighteen years of age he married Elizabeth Myers, and in the spring of 1821, he and his brother-in-law, Samuel Myers, removed to the southeast quarter of section thirty, in Montgomery township, then of Richland county, but now of Ashland county, Ohio, where he purchased, and since improved the farm upon which he resided until his death.
When he erected his first cabin there were but few settlers in that part of the township, and he states that of those present, he remembers Daniel Carter, sr., Joshua Brown, Mr. Wheeler, Joseph Sheets, David Markley, Capt. Andrews, Henry Gamble, and possibly Richard Beer, and a few others, including Samuel Myers, his brother-in-law, who was to occupy the same cabin, a double one.
When he and Mr. Myers came on they stopped a few days in Uniontown (now Ashland), where they became acquainted with the late Henry Gamble, Joseph Sheets, and the Markleys.
He cut a path to his land, wide enough to permit his wagon, a covered one, and four horses to pass, and obtained rye straw of Mr. Gamble to feed his horses until they could live on wild grass, and sprinkled a little salt on it as an “appetizer.” Of nights, the horses were tied around the wagon, exposed to the cold rains until he could cut logs, and by the aid of pioneers erect the stable. At first the only floor in his cabin was provided by nature – the bare ground. It snowed freely a night or two after he and his family entered the new cabin, and melted quite rapidly, flooding the floor, when, to procure a dry resting place, he cut a lot of brush, and piled it up a bed in the middle of the cabin. Being remarkably rugged, and ambitious to have a home, he set to work at once to remove the forest, and prepare for planting his first crop of corn, and succeeded in raising a small field the first summer.
Near where he and Mr. Myers erected their cabin, was a fine mineral spring, a resort of deer as a lick. Near this an Indian had erected and deserted and neat wigwam or pole cabin, which was still standing, covered with bark. He was of opinion that the hut had been built by the noted Indian hunter Jonacake, who often visited the pioneers of the township.
At that time, his music consisted of almost nightly serenades by the wolves, which were quite numerous, but dangerous only to the small flocks of sheep brought on by the pioneers.
Mrs. Thomas, though formerly occupying a comfortable home in Pennsylvania, consented to accompany him to the wilds of the new country, that they might obtain a property of their own, and entered heartily into the task of assisting him in the preparation of a log cabin home in the forest, consenting to encounter all the privations incident to such an undertaking, and survived to share his toils and anxieties until 1863, when she deceased at the age of sixty-two years. Mr. Thomas subsequently married Barbara Myers, a sister of his first wife. His death occurred August 9, 1878.
Mr. Thomas was an honest, hard-working farmer, and by his strict integrity and thrift, had accumulated a fine fortune, which he shared with his children. He had experienced many privations in early life, but submitted to them like a brave man, that he might enjoy better things in the future.
When a young man he became a member of what is now known as of the Dunkard or Brethern church, and was an exemplary member thereof about fifty-four years, and at his decease expressed a willingness to die and go home to a better world.
The members of the family consisted of six sons and six daughters. The surviving sons are: Jonathan, Philip, Michael, jr., and John; the daughters, Sarah, wife of David Bolyeat; Elizabeth, wife of Jesse Vanosdall; Fanny, wife of Jacob Bolyeat; Nancy, wife of David Arter; and Catherine, wife of John Benigoff. The majority of the foregoing reside in Ashland county.
The obituary committee of the Ashland County Historical and Pioneer society upon learning the death of Mr. Thomas adopted the usual resolutions.
Thus, in a few years, at most, the last of the pioneers will have been gathered home. We are indebted to them for having penetrated the forest wilderness of Ashland county, and for rescuing it from its original occupants. Let us honor them for what they have accomplished, and preserve their memory by continuing the improvements they began. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
NELSON THOMAS (Mohican) p. 396(1)
Nelson Thomas was born June 6, 1831. His father was a native of Wales, where he was born about 1786; he died near Jeromeville, Ohio, in 1853. His other, Anna Thomas, was born in New Jersey, about 1806. They had a family of five children, of whom Jane died in Kosciusko county, Indiana; Elizabeth, who married J.M. Hess, and lives in Cass county, Missouri; Amanda, who married Thomas Norris, and lives in Fulton county, Indiana; Sarah M., who married Joseph H. Page, and lives in Cass county, Missouri. Nelson Thomas, the subject of this sketch, was married when twenty-one years of age, to Sarah Keister, of Hayesville, Ohio. They have had six children, five of whom are living. One son, Franklin, died October 30, 1877, at the age of nineteen. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
OWEN TOMPKINS (Township Unknown) p. 394(1)
Owen Tompkins was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, February 7, 1839. His parents were John Tompkins, who was also born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, and Mary, his wife, who was a native of Montreal, Canada. They had a family of eight children, as follows: Elizabeth, Emily, Mary, Margaret, Peter, John, Naomi and Owen. Soon after the birth of the latter his mother died. He remained with his father and the other members of the family until he became of age. In 1861 he enlisted as a soldier in the war of the Rebellion for the term of three months, and at the end of that time was appointed as second lieutenant in the Eighty-second Pennsylvania volunteers for the three years service. During that time he was promoted from second to first lieutenant, and became adjutant of the regiment. In 1864 he was commissioned as captain of the company he first entered as lieutenant. After the close of the war, in 1867, he was commissioned by the Secretary of War as a second lieutenant in the regular army, but from force of circumstances did not serve. He held a civil position under the State government of Pennsylvania five years, and in 1872 went to Columbus, Ohio, and in 1876 came to Ashland, where he has since been engaged in business. In 1863 he was married to Prudence A. Russel, by whom he has one child, William M., born the first of August, 1866. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
GEORGE A. ULLMAN (Green or Hanover) p. 397(1)
George A. Ullman was born at Loudonville, his parents being Adam and Barbara Ullman, both of whom were born in Alsace, Germany. Each came to the United States when about two years of age, and were married in Holmes county, Ohio. They raised a family of eight children, as follows: Caroline, who married Michael Scheff, and lives in Richland county; George A.; Minnie, who married W.S. Fisher, and lives in Loudonville; Maggie, who died about 1864; Mary, who married F. Arnold, and lives in Loudonville; Adam, Adolph, and Amanda, who also live at Loudonville. George A. Ullman clerked in his father’s store in Loudonville until August 1878, when he took the office of county treasurer, to which he had been elected the fall previous. He was married to Anna Rebecca Merklinger, of Loudonville. In 1870 he became associated with his father in his store, in which he still retains an interest. He is the father of two children: Joseph A., born January 2, 1870, and Anna A.B., born September 9, 1874. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
WILLIAM H. VAN GILDER (Green) p. 280(1)
William H. Van Gilder was born in Ashland county, Ohio, in 1842. He first learned the tinsmith trade, and followed that four years; then learned the carpenter’s trade and worked at that eight years. He was then engaged in farming a few years, and is now engaged in the hotel business—at present is proprietor of the Commercial house, at Perrysville, the only hotel in the place. In the fall of 1861 he entered the quartermaster’s department of the army of the Cumberland, and served there eighteen months. In the fall of 1863 he enlisted in the Fourth Ohio battery light artillery, under Captain Conkle, in battery D; was in the Atlanta campaign, Hood’s raid into Tennessee, and took part in the capture of Wilmington and Fort Fisher, under General Thomas, and was discharged by special order of the war department in July, 1865. In 1865 he married Catharine Scott, and is the father of two children, Lawrence and Byron. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
LIZZIE WEISENSTEIN (Montgomery) p. 399(1)
Lizzie Weisenstein was born in Germany March 31, 1837, and came to this country with her mother when seventeen years old, and located at Mansfield, Ohio, where she lived until the age of twenty, when she was married to Jacob Weisenstein, of Ashland, where she then removed. Mrs. Weisenstein had the following children by this marriage: Lizzie, born March 30, 1859 and died January 9, 1862; Mary, born August 23, 1861, married E. W. Rogers, and lives in Missouri; Jacob E., born October 28, 1863, and died August 29, 1865; Joseph F., born October 15, 1865; Louise, born September 24, 1869; and Frank S., born June 27, 1873. Mrs. Weisenstein’s parents, Jacob and Clara Houtz, were natives of Otterberg, Rhine Phaltz, Germany; her father died in Germany, and her mother died in Mansfield, Ohio, in 1878. Mr. and Mrs. Houtz had children as follows: Frank, who died in Germany in 1877; Jacob, who lives in Mt. Vernon, Ohio; Catherine, who married David Miller, of Mansfield; Charlotte, who married Jacob Wentz, and lives in Mansfield; Louise, who married Philip Lawrence; and Lizzie.
Jacob Weisenstein was born in Wertemberg, Germany, June 12, 1833, and came to this country in 1853, stopping in New York. The following year he came to Ashland, and worked at his trade of shoe-making for Stubbs and Wasson for several years. In 1858 he married Miss Lizzie Houtz. Mr. Weisenstein was engaged in the shoe, grocery, and restaurant business for some time previous to his death, which occurred January 8, 1876. Mrs. Weisenstein now carries on the business. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
JOHN WELTMER (Green) p. 278(1)
John Weltmer was born in Wayne county, Ohio, November 22, 1829, and in 1852 married Phebe Moses. In 1857 he settled on the farm on which he now lives. He is a cabinet-maker and carpenter by trade, but is at present engaged in farming. He is a member of the Evangelical Association, and a class-leader in the church; in politics he is a Republican. He is the father of four children: Sylvania, deceased; Pinninnah, wife of Charles Scott, of Ashland county; Epraim, who married Mina Anderr, and lives in Ashland county, and Lenna I. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
JACOB WERTMAN (Clearcreek) p. 401(1)
Jacob Wertman, of Clearcreek township, died on November 26, 1873, aged seventy-six. Mary Wertman, his wife, died July 11, 1865, aged about sixty-five. Their sons, Jesse and William, live on the old homestead, and Enoch in Milton township. They are all farmers by occupation, and influential men in the county. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
JESSE WERTMAN (Clearcreek) p. 400(1)
Jesse Wertman was born in Columbia county, Pennsylvania, May 18, 1810, and there lived until 1838, when he came to this county. He was married December 19, 1833, to Ann Pursell, who was a native of the same county, where she was born June 30, 1810. To them have been born twelve children, two of whom died in infancy. Those living are Charles N., William F., Mary E., Maria C., Daniel, Harriet, Jacob, Sarah M., John and Simon. Mr. Wertman has devoted his life to agricultural pursuits. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
LEO WERTMAN (Clearcreek) p. 399(1)
Leo Wertman, son of Simon and Abagail Wertman, from Columbia county, Pennsylvania, was born August 7, 1829, at the old homestead in Pennsylvania. He removed with his father’s family to Ohio, and settled in the present county of Ashland, in the spring of 1839. Here he remained on his father’s farm, comprising one hundred and fifty-nine acres, most of the time until eighteen years of age, when he started to learn the trade of cabinet-maker with Stubbs and Coffin, of Ashland. He completed his trade, and for some time carried on the business, when in the year 1859 he changed his business to the pursuit of agriculture, purchasing one hundred and five acres of the original tract purchased by his father. Here he has remained, continuing to improve and add to, until it can be said that he has one of the finest improved farms of Ashland county. Mr. Wertman was united in marriage in the year 1852 to Allada S. Simonton, daughter of Henry Simonton, of Pennsylvania. To this union were born two children, both of whom are living: Abbie Belle and Simon Henry. Mrs. Wertman died in the spring of 1859. Mr. Wertman chose for his second partner Mary Ann, daughter of Henry Walburn, from Maryland. To them was born one child: George Richard, now residing with his parents. In politics Mr. Wertman is a Democrat, casting his first presidential vote for Franklin Pierce. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
WILLIAM WERTMAN (Clearcreek) p. 401 (1)
William Wertman was born in Columbia county, Pennsylvania, May 28, 1815. In 1837 he came to Ohio and remained in Stark county one year, after which he removed to this county, where he has since resided. By trade he is a saddle and harness maker, which business he followed for many years, but of late has devoted his time to his farm in Clearcreek township. He was married in October, 1845, to Susanna Stott, by whom he has four children: Jackson S., Zachary T., Eugene T. and Sarah V. Mrs. Wertman died in 1860, aged about forty-five years. He was a second time married, November 24, 1862, to Keziah Culbertson, who has borne two children: Ida L. and Arthur J. The latter died March 29, 1865. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
WILLIAM WESTHEFFER (Montgomery) p. 258 (1)
William Westheffer was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, in 1794, and, when twenty years of age, removed to Cumberland county, in the same State, where he married Mrs. Young, about 1823. She deceased in 1834, in the same county.
In 1844 Mr. Westheffer emigrated to Montgomery township, then of Richland, now Ashland county, Ohio, and purchased a farm in section two. Since the death of Mrs. Westheffer he has remained single, and has resided with members of his family on his late homestead. His occupation was that of a plain farmer. He was warmly attached to his family, and was an exemplary Christian – having been a member of the Lutheran church for sixty years. One year ago (in 1878) he became a member of the Ashland County Pioneer and Historical society, and took a deep interest in the attempt, by his fellow members, to record the incidents of the past and preserve the memory of those who cleared and improved our beautiful county. Now, he too has been called over the great river to join the millions who have been summoned home, having died April 21, 1879. He was a quiet, industrious, Christian gentleman, and we trust his account will be found approved by the Great Author of our being.
The members of his family consisted of five children, all grown: George, Mary M., wife of Daniel Ambrose, of Montgomery; Elizabeth, wife of James McDermot, of Iowa; Sarah, wife of Daniel Kramer, of Iowa; and Margaret, wife of Jeremiah Deardorf, deceased of Indiana.
Mr. Westheffer was buried at the White church, six miles east of Ashland, and his funeral sermons were preached by Revs. Roseberry and Keiffer. May he rest in peace. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
SAMUEL GATES WIEST (Montgomery) p. 394 (1)
Samuel Gates Wiest was born in Adams county, Pennsylvania, June 28, 1850. His parents are Jacob Wiest, his father, born November 24, 1825, and his mother, Margaret Wiest, born March 22, 1828. They still live in Pennsylvania, where they have raised a family of seven children, as follows: Samuel G., M. L., Emma S., Ellen B., Charles E., Ada Kate, and Anna L., of whom all but two live in the county of their birth. M. L. is in Ashland, and is a member of the firm of Bahnley & Co., marble cutters. Samuel G., the subject of this sketch, came to Ashland in June, 1873, and immediately engaged in the drug business with J. P. Harley. He afterwards took the old stand of W. K. Foltz, one door east of the Miller house, where he continued in business by himself until 1880, when he associated with himself E. W. Reaser, and still continues in the drug business. S. G. Wiest was married September 4, 1876, to Belle Mansfield, daughter of M. H. Mansfield, of Ashland, and has one child, John M., born February 4, 1879. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
CHARLES WILLSON (Montgomery) p. 254 (1)
Charles Willson was born in Baltimore county, Maryland, August 10, 1795, and came to Perry township, Wayne county, Ohio, in 1810. In 1819 he married Mary Anderson. He has two sons, William and Joseph, and four daughters including Mrs. Z. Greenwald. When a youth he resided with his parents in Jefferson county, Ohio, eight years, from whence he came to Perry township, and thence to Montgomery. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
JOHN J. WOLF (Lake) p. 284 (1)
John J. Wolf, son of John Wolf, was born in Ellsos, France, in 1835, and came to America with his father, and now owns the farm in Lake township upon which his father first settled. In 1858 he married Matilda Myers, of Wayne county, Ohio. He has been township trustee two terms, and assessor two terms, and in 1877 was elected county commissioner, which office he now holds. He is a member of the Lutheran church, and is highly respected by his neighbors. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
GUTELIUS I. YERICK (Montgomery) p. 398(1)
Gutelius I. Yerick was born in Mifflinburgh, Pennsylvania, August 11, 1834. When a small child he removed with his parents to the eastern part of Ashland county, then a part of Wayne county, Ohio, and when seven years of age went to live with Jacob Berry, on whose farm he worked for two years, and afterwards resided with Samuel Landis, doing farm work for about the same length of time, and for John Russell one year. At the age of twelve years he was apprenticed to John Goodwin, to learn the wood turning and painting business, serving two and one half years, when he removed to Ashland and worked at his trade about three years. About the year 1852 he went to western Ohio and Indiana, where he continued to work his trade until the spring of 1855, when he returned to Ashland and engaged in the furniture business, which he carried on until the spring of 1860, when he sold his interest in the business to J. B. Stubbs. From 1860 to 1869 he was engaged in the real estate and collection business, and in the latter year was elected treasurer of Ashland county, in which office he served four years, when he again resumed the real estate and collection business. In 1874 he bought out the interest in the livery stable of Peter Fitzgar, of the firm of Thomas & Fitzgar, but gives his chief attention to the real estate and collection business, Mr. Thomas conducting the livery business. Mr. Yerick’s father, Peter Yerick, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1796, and his mother, Catherine Yerick, was born in Mifflinburgh, Pennsylvania; both are still living. They had the following children born to them: Elvina, who married John Goodwin, and lives in Findlay, Ohio; Henry E., who lives in Washington, Iowa; Elizabeth, who married John Shott, and lives in Wayne county, Ohio; Gutelius I.; Caroline, who lives in Toledo, Ohio; Rebecca, who died when about 16 years of age; Catherine, who married John Switzer, and is a widow, living in Iowa City; Samuel W, who lives in Burlington, Iowa; Mary Ann, who married John Lane, and lives in Crete, Nebraska; F. E., also in Crete, Nebraska; John, who lives at Atlantic, Iowa; Joseph, who lives at Toledo, Ohio; and Simon, who lives in Nebraska. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)