ALEXANDER AKINS JR. (Hanover) p. 296(1)
Alexander Akins, Jr. was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, in 1808; came with his father and settled in Ashland county, and married Christina Shipp; and is engaged in farming. In Politics he is a Democrat. Three of his five children died in infancy; the other two are: William, who married Sarah Miller, and in 1847 went to Indiana; Albert, who married Sarah Shumaker in 1867, and lives in Loudonville. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
ALEXANDER ALLISON (Perry) p. 330(1)
Alexander Allison, second son of James and Elizabeth (Smith) Allison, was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, in 1805, and emigrated to Ohio with his parents in 1809. They first settled in Jefferson county, Ohio, on a rented farm, where he remained for a period of nine years, when he again started with his little family to seek a more desirable home, which he found on coming to Ashland (then Wayne) county. He made a permanent settlement in Perry township, where he remained until the time of his death in 1839, surviving his wife about thirteen months. Their children were: Jane, Catharine, and Alexander. The only representative of the family is Catharine, who resides in Wayne county, near Wooster, performing a duty that seems to her a pleasure, that of caring for the orphan children of her deceased sister. Alexander, the subject of this sketch, was twice married, first to Miss Alice Firestone, in 1830, and settled on the farm where we now find him, adjoining the old homestead of his father. His home, at that time a rude cabin, was situated almost in the woods, with no improvements whatever to give any token of civilization. Here he reared his little family, and the dense forest that so closely surrounded him was soon made to yield to his strong will, and waving fields of grain soon gave evidence that his determination had been earnestly put into execution. In fact, the means with which he purchased his pioneer home he earned by clearing and chopping. To Mr. And Mrs. Allison were born seven children, two sons and five daughters, Nancy, Elizabeth, John F., Rachel, Mary Ann, Eliza J., and Alexander C. all living but Eliza J., who died just after developing into womanhood, John F. died in infancy. The wife and mother was taken from her earthly home July 9, 1844, at the age of thirty-one years. Mr. Allison married for his second wife Miss Elizabeth White, in 1851. To them were born six children, three sons and three daughters, William W., John P., Alice Catharine, Ann Isabel, Margaret Edith, Thomas B. all living but Margaret Edith, who died at the age of one year and ten days. Mr. Allison still resides on the old home place. He is a gentleman advanced in years, but is in his full strength and vigor, and a man remarkable for his memory and accuracy. Scarcely too much can be said of this worthy pioneer. Himself and wife are consistent members of the Presbyterian church, and have always been among its most liberal supporters. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN AMEND (Mifflin) p. 318(1)
John Amend (John K.) was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, August 15, 1837. In 1843 his parents removed to this township. He is the fourth child of John and Elizabeth Amend. There were six children, as follows: Nancy and Frances, who were twins; Jacob and John K., our subject, also twins; Louis and Isaac; one named Leah died while in Pennsylvania; all the others are still living, and all are married. Mr. Amend’s father departed this life December 13, 1863, aged sixty years, five months and seventeen days. His mother died June 14, 1870, aged sixty-seven years, five months and ten days. He was married October 10, 1871, to Miss Lovina Stoner, who was born August 21, 1845, in Richland county, where she resided until the age of twelve years, when her parents removed to Williams county, this State. They remained there until she was twenty-three years old, when she came back to Richland county, where she remained until she was married. The fruits of this union are five children, named respectively Allen O., who was born September 18, 1871; Amanda M., born June 9, 1873; Celia M., born September 18, 1875; Lorella J., born April 30, 1877; and William A., born May 10, 1879. Mr. Amend is by occupation a school teacher, as well as a carpenter and farmer, but has turned all of his attention to his farm for the past fourteen years. He now owns a good productive farm of one hundred and twenty acres in this township. He served his township as clerk one term. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
ALANSON ANDREWS (Montgomery) p. 205(1)
Mr. Andrews was born in Massachusetts in 1784. He emigrated to Ohio in the spring of 1817, and located in the village of Uniontown, now Ashland. His cabin stood near the spring west of Center Street, in the rear of the present residence of David Whiting. Mr. Andrews resided there but a short time, and then completed a new cabin about where the Whiting blacksmith shop now stands, and moved into it. He resided in that locality two or three years, and carried on a distillery just below the present residence of David Whiting, in company with a Mr. Palmer. During his residence in this cabin, Lorin Andrews, the second male child of Ashland was born. This event took place April 1, 1819. A short time after, Mr. Andrews purchased the farm of David Markley adjoining Ashland on the southwest, and moved upon it. Mr. Andrews was a good farmer, and soon had an abundance of this world’s goods to reward him for his toil. He put up a fine residence, barn, and other out-buildings at an early day, and his orchard, fields, fences, and improvements indicated thrift, good judgment, and industry.
He was a man of fair education, close observation and strict habits. Like all New England people, he was the friend of educational institutions, and took a deep interest in the establishment of advanced schools in the establishment of advanced schools in the village of Ashland. He was one of the founders and props of the old academy, where so many young men commenced a career of usefulness and honor. He was a warm patron of the school from its commencement, and every member of his family passed through its various grades of classification. Mr. Andrews stood high among his neighbors for his truthfulness, integrity, and personal worth.
It has often been remarked in the presence of the writer of these sketches, that being one of the best judges of the value of personal and real estate, that he had, perhaps, assisted in the appraisement of more estates than any other citizen in the township.
In politics he was a Whig, and always cast his influence in favor of the prevalence of the principles of that party. He never sought office of any kind, although his fitness was admitted by his neighbors.
He was tall and well formed; his face, though not handsome, impressed itself upon the recollection. In the general way he was reticent, and rarely revealed his plans. In temper, he was decidedly firm and resolute. All in all, in his intercourse with his neighbors, he was pleasant, and noted for his hospitality and kindness to the poor. He died after a brief illness, May 11, 1850, and sleeps in the cemetery west of Ashland. His widow and numerous family reside in the west. But three of his sons reached manhood, Lorin, Lyman, and Levi. Lorin is deceased; Lyman resides in Indianapolis, Indiana, and Levi in California. His widow, at and advanced age, resides with a daughter in Geneseo, Illinois. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JAMES ANDREWS (Milton) p. 203(1)
Was another leading citizen of Milton township. He was a Pennsylvanian by birth, and in 1800 emigrated to Columbiana county, Ohio, where he resided until 1816, when he entered a farm in the south part of Milton township, and removed to it with his family. He served in the war of 1812, as a captain in the Second regiment, Second brigade of Ohio militia, and was promoted, during his service, to brigade inspector, and obtained a warrant for his services in 1854. After the organization of Milton township, he served as trustee, constable, supervisor, and justice of the peace, and acquitted himself to the satisfaction of the electors of his township. He died in the fall of 1863, and was buried in the cemetery in the south part of the township. He was about eighty-five years old at his decease. He left several members of his family, none of whom, we are informed, remain in the township.* Mr. Andrews, like his pioneer neighbors, passed through many hardships in preparing his farm for culture. He lived to surround himself with many comforts, and was highly respected. The settlers of his day have nearly all disappeared, and soon there will be none left to tell the story of pioneer life amid the wilds of this region. *Mr. Andrews was, for many years, a member of the Seceder church. Like his Scotch-Irish ancestors, he accepted, in good faith, the doctrines and discipline of that church. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
LORIN ANDREWS, LL. D. (Montgomery) p. 208(1)
Lorin Andrews was born in Uniontown, now Ashland, April 1, 1819, and was the second male child born within the present limits of the town. Alanson Andrews, his father, resided in a small log cabin, about thirty-five or forty feet south of Main street, on the lot on which the office of M. H. Mansfield is now located. Here it was that Lorin Andrews first saw the light, learned to lisp the name of his parents, and began to give evidence of that talent for which he became, in after years, so noted. When quite young, his father purchased of David Markley, the farm adjoining Ashland on the southwest, and located thereon. Lorin attended the district schools of the village, and made rapid progress in the branches taught at that period. He was much beloved by his schoolmates, because of his amiable disposition, sprightliness of manner and acuteness.
When he was about seventeen years of age, he was regarded as one of the foremost youths of the village. In the year 1836, the patriotic fires of the Revolution were still kept blazing on the altars of the country. It was resolved to celebrate the natal day of our freedom in a becoming manner. To this end, after several village meetings, it was agreed that the people would assemble in Carter’s grove, about one and a half miles east of Ashland, on the fourth of July, for that purpose; and that Michael Ritter, who kept a hotel on the premises now known as the Finley property, be invited to prepare a dinner; and that Lorin Andrews be requested to prepare and deliver the oration. When the time for assembling arrived, the procession was formed at Ashland, with Alexander Miller as marshal of the day; and the people were escorted to the grove, headed by a band, composed of Jacob Grubb as drummer, Pierce Robinson fifer, Joshua H. Ruth and John K. Billings with flutes. Young Andrews delivered the oration with a coolness and self-possession that astonished the assemblage. His address had been carefully prepared, well studied, and delivered with an ease of manner and grace of gesticulation that was pronounced admirable. The dinner and toasts followed. And the festivities of the occasion are yet referred to by many of the pioneers with much pride.
A copy of the address of young Andrews was published in the Ohio Globe, a little paper, then edited by our late townsman, Joshua H. Ruth.
A bright future was predicted for the young orator; and his father was induced to send him where his ambition, as a student, could have a better field and be more fully gratified. He at once entered the grammar School of Gambier College, where he commenced a thorough course of instruction. He remained in the grammar school about two years, and entered college, but during his junior year, in 1840, owing to financial embarrassment, was withdrawn from college. He returned to Ashland, and after a few months, by invitation of the trustees, took charge of the Ashland academy as principal, aided by several able assistants, in the male and female departments. Under his superintendence the school was in a most flourishing condition; students from every part of the state, and from distant states, came in by the hundred and enrolled their names. Not having completed his collegiate course, Professor Andrews was compelled to continue his studies in private, to keep in advance of his students. He applied himself with uncommon industry, and distanced the most advanced classes; he evinced a knowledge of the branches taught, and a readiness in recitation that was really surprising. His manner, as an instructor, was agreeable and well calculated to win the esteem of the student. He had a peculiar faculty of enlisting the sympathy, respect and confidence of all with whom he was brought in contact. He was frank and pleasing in his address, and a student met but to love and honor him. When compelled to enforce, with apparent severity, the rules governing the academy, it was done in such a way that the student respected him for his impartiality and evident intention to do justice. The writer of this sketch has seen Professor Andrews, scores of times, after reprimanding a hot-headed student for some gross violation of the rules, while yet smarting under the reproof, and blinded by rage and resentment, approach him at the black-board in the most friendly manner, take the chalk and give him a statement, and frequently solve the problem. Such treatment would soften the resentment of any young man of reflection, and secure his respect. In this Professor Andrews evinced his deep insight into human nature, and often succeeded in taming the ferocity of the worst students, and changed the whole current of their lives. With him “kind words could never die.”
Professor Andrews was a fluent conversationalist, was very kind and gentlemanly in his manner; and egotism was an element that could not be detected in his intercourse with his students or society. In fact, he was the least selfish public man I ever knew. The result was that while he always had a flourishing school, and was popular among the students and the people, he was always financially distressed. If he found a student struggling to obtain an education, teaching in the winter and attending the academy in the summer, he would not exact tuition, but insist that his pupil should go ahead, and pay him when he could. This was often equivalent to no pay.
As a speaker, Professor Andrews was not an orator, unless we define oratory to be the ability to please and hold an audience. His addresses at school institutes, and lectures before his classes, were all delivered in conversational style. He talked remarkably well, and could hold an audience or an institute for hours. There was a fascination about his manner that invariably made his audience feel friendly toward him, while the lucidness of his ideas enlisted their whole attention. As a lecturer before institutes, he was widely known throughout the State, and he exercised as much or more influence, perhaps, than any other teacher in the west.
In consequence of his success as a teacher, in 1846, the honorary degree of A. M. was conferred upon him by Kenyon College.
In 1850 the union school system was adopted in many parts of the State. The trustees of the schools at Massillon solicited Professor Andrews to become superintendent. In an unfortunate hour the people of Ashland permitted him to retire from the academy, an institution which had been an ornament to the town, and a source of profit to our people. The academy speedily passed away, and the buildings were merged into the union schools.
Professor Andrews remained at the head of the Massillon schools about three years, during which time he was nominated by the Whig party, under the new constitution, for commissioner of common schools for the State. He failed, by a small vote, to secure his election. Under his management the schools of Massillon were very efficient and popular.
In December, 1854, he was invited to accept the presidency of Kenyon College, with which request he complied. He was the first lay member of the Episcopal church who had been invited to fill that position. To be selected to preside over such an institution was indeed a flattering compliment. His high educational attainments, added to his purity as a man, made him the worthy recipient of such an honor. His presence in the college acted like magic-his friends from every part of the State began to look toward Kenyon as an appropriate place to educate the young men of the country. The college received new life; and energy and prosperity were diffused through every department. Students began to fill the classes, and everything betokened a prosperous future for the institution.
Some months after Professor Andrews had been inaugurated president of Kenyon College, the honorary degree of LL. D. Was conferred upon him by Princeton College, New Jersey. This was a high distinction and well deserved, because of his remarkable success as an educator.
In 1861, in the midst of his success as president of Kenyon, the rumbling sounds of discontent were borne from the south, and a sanguinary civil war seemed to be imminent. In February, believing the war to be inevitable, President Andrews offered his services to the governor of Ohio. In April he raised a company in Knox county, which reported to the governor, and he was appointed colonel of the Fourth Ohio regiment. Soon after his regiment was ordered into West Virginia, where it remained on duty during the summer. In September Colonel Andrews, in consequence of exposure, was attacked by a malignant form of typhoid fever that fell destroyer of so many northern soldiers, and, although able to reach his home in Ohio, was so much prostrated that the friendly efforts of the physician, and all human aid, failed to avert his impending end. The sentiment-–Our life is a dream, Our time like a stream Glides swiftly away, was fully illustrated. He died September 18, 1861. Just prior to his departure with his regiment to Virginia, fearing some disaster might overtake him, he, accompanied by his wife, went into the cemetery at Gambier, and selected the spot where he desired to be buried in case of his death in the army. His wishes were complied with, and his honored remains now rest in sight of the institution he loved so well during his active and useful life.
Much surprise was manifested among many of his old friends when it was learned that he had abandoned the presidency of Kenyon College to accept a place in the army. It was believed that his true field was that of letters, and that his tastes all ran in that direction. When a student under his instruction in the old Ashland academy, years prior to the war, while translating Homer, Virgil, Xenophon, Livy, Cicero, and the orations of Demosthenes, the military spirit could be plainly detected in his comments upon the strategy of the heroes of that age. At the mention of Achilles, “swift of foot”-“Peleus’ godlike son”-“Mighty Agamemnon, king of men”-the venerable “Nestor”-the achievements of the Scipios, Alexander, Caesar, Hannibal and Pompey, his enthusiasm exhibited itself in a forcible manner. There can be but little doubt if Colonel Andrews had survived the war he would have reached an elevated position as a military man, and acquitted himself as bravely as a Morgan, a McPherson, and a Sheridan. He was very ambitious to excel in everything he undertook, and his spirit, like-“An eagle soured On restless plumes to meet the imperial sun.” His motto was “conquer, never cower at, opposition.” Hence he was always making progress in the line of his profession. His theory was-“Rest not! Life is sweeping by; Go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime Leave behind to conquer time.”
Right well he performed his part in the drama of the world. He was only about forty-two years old at his decease. Few men have accomplished more. From a cabin, by the force of his genius, he elevated himself to the presidency of one of the best colleges in the west before he was thirty-five years of age, and proved himself one of the first educators of the times.
In person President Andrews was about five feet eight inches high, would weigh about one hundred and thirty-five pounds, hair inclined to be curly and sandy, a broad forehead, a clear gray eye, a manly face full of benevolence; in his manners, courteous and gentlemanly; in his gait, very erect and quite sprightly in his movements. Such was President Andrews, one of the noblest sons Ashland ever sent forth, and whose career is worthy the emulation of all her future sons. (transcribed by Penny Hanes PHanes1368@aol.com) (Contributed by Russ Shopbell)
ORSAMUS L. ANDREWS (Ruggles) p. 379(1)
Orsamus L. Andrews was born in Portage county, Ohio, in 1815, and received a common school education in Portage county; went to school at Randolph Academy in Ravenna, and at Farmington, Trumbull county, Ohio, and then returned to Portage county and began the study of medicine with Dr. Bassett, where he remained three years, and during that time attended lectures at Willoughby, Ohio. In 1837 he married Elvira Bassett, and in 1838, began the practice of medicine. In 1842 he moved to New Washington, Crawford county, Ohio, where he opened an office and remained six months, when he moved to Greenwich, where he went into partnership with Dr. Norton, and remained one year. In 1843 he removed to Ruggles and entered in partnership with Dr. Paddock, where he remained two years, when he sold to Dr. Paddock, and moved to New London, where he practiced medicine twelve years. While there he was elected justice of the peace for two terms, served as township clerk seven years, and township assessor three years. In 1856 he returned to Ruggles, where he engaged in the practice of medicine until 1868, when he gave it up and turned his attention to farming, in which business he is still engaged. He has been elected justice of the peace of Ruggles township for one term, has served as township clerk several years, and as township trustee one term; was appointed postmaster during President Pierce’s administration, and held the office during nearly all of President Buchanan’s administration; is a member of the Congregational church, and in politics he is a Republican. He is the father of ten children, six of whom are living, Lydia, wife of Robert Vanwranken, of New London; Orsamus L., who married Marion Beach, and lives in Ruggles; Lucy E., who married Wakeman E. Beach, of Ruggles; Bassett; George W., who married Lilly Vangorder, and lives in Illinois; and Emma, wife of John Weddell of Ashland county. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
THADDEUS ANDREWS (Ruggles) p. 379(1)
Thaddeus Andrews was born in Ellington, Connecticut, in 1778, and married Lydia Russell, of the same place. In 1808 he came to Ohio, and settled in Rootstown, Portage county, where he died in 1845; his wife died in 1843. He was engaged in farming all his life; was a member of the Presbyterian church, and was deacon in the church for over forty years. In Politics he was an old-line Whig. He was the father of nine children, five of whom are still living: Thaddeus R., who married Axie Richardson, and lives in Portage county, Ohio: Lydia, wife of Harvey Shutliff, of Portage county; Romanta N., wife of Emby Norton, of Portage county; Roxey M., wife of Cyrus Norton, and afterwards wife of Cyrus Austin; and Orsamus L., who married Elvira Bassett. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN AREHART (Green) p. 277(1)
John Arehart, born in York county, Pennsylvania, in 1815, came to Ashland county in 1840, and settled on the farm on which he now lives. In 1838 he married Elizabeth Senett; has followed farming all his life; is a generous, kind hearted and strictly honest man, highly respected by all who know him; is a member of the Lutheran church; in politics he is a Democrat. He is the father of six children, Sarah wife of John Oswalt, of Perrysville; Columbus, who married Emeline Yates, and lives in Richland county; Susan, wife of Alfred Chew, of Ashland county; Jane, wife of Andrew Underwood, of Perrysville; Arsulia, wife of Martin Robison, of Richland county; and John W. who married Olive Chew, and lives in Richland county, Ohio. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
ABRAHAM ARMENTROUT (Vermillion) p. 237(1)
Was born near Harrisonburgh, Rockingham county, Virginia, December 15, 1797. In his youth he attended a subscription school and studied the elementary branches. In 1812 he volunteered, and served three months in the company of Captain William Harrison, under Colonel Sprangler, at Richmond and Camp Bottom’s bridge. After the expiration of his service he was apprenticed and learned the trade of a carpenter and house joiner. About the year 1817 his brother George, and family, removed to Worthington township, Richland county, Ohio and located near the present site of Newville. He was also a carpenter.
In December, 1818, Abraham Armentrout, then a single young man, journeyed on foot from Rockingham county, Virginia, through Cumberland, Maryland, along the pike which had been completed to Wheeling, where he crossed the Ohio river, and continued along Zane’s trace to Zanesville, thence up the Licking to Newark, and thence to Mount Vernon, and, by the path leading through Clinton, to Lewis’ block house, on the Clear fork, where he found his brother. He married Miss Priscilla Wade, and worked at his trade until about 1821, when he became a farmer, and continued at that occupation until 1840, when he located at Hayesville, in what is now Ashland county. After his arrival in this county he kept a hotel about fourteen years, and, in 1854, became postmaster, and retained the office to the close of the administration of President Buchanan.
In September 1863, Mrs. Armentrout deceased, since which period he has resided in the family of his son, Wade Armentrout, of Hayesville. He is in fair health, and possesses a good deal of physical vigor for a man of his age. The ancestors of Mr. Armentrout were English and German, on his father’s side German, and on his mother’s English. They settled in Rockingham county about the year 1690. His grandfather, Henry Armentrout, died there in 1792, at an advanced age. His father died in the same county in 1804.
George Armentrout located in Worthington township, Richland county, in 1817, and Philip Armentrout, another brother, in Knox county, near Mount Vernon, and Jacob in Cedar county, Iowa. The descendants of these brothers are quite numerous. The family retains a number of relics of the olden times. Abraham Armentrout has in his possession a copper teakettle, highly finished, which was imported by the family, on the mother’s side, from England, about one hundred and fifty years ago. It is in good state of preservation, and quite a curiosity.
The family of Mr. Armentrout consisted of seven children, three sons and four daughters. Four yet survive, Mrs. Amanda Glass, wife of the late Dr. Samuel Glass, of Ashland, who was born in a little log cabin, twelve by twelve feet, in Worthington township, Richland county, and rocked in a humble cradle; Alpheus, of Windsor, Richland county, Anseville, wife of Judge John J. Gurley, of Mt. Gilead, Morrow county, and Wade, who resides in Hayesville. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
CAPTAIN ARMSTRONG (Green) p. 130(1)
Of Greentown, whose Indian name was Pamoxet, is first mentioned in the treaty of Fort Industry, on the Maumee River, July 4, 1805. The object of the treaty was the final relinquishment of all Indian title to the lands of the Western Reserve. We are inclined to the opinion that he was a chief of the Turtle tribe, and that he located at Greentown fifteen or sixteen years before Pipe made his residence near the village of Mohican Johnstown. He was there when the first settlers of Green township commenced the erection of their cabins, in 1808-9; and seemed to exercise a very controlling influence over the Indians of that village, among who were Delawares, Mingoes, Mohawks, and Shawnees.
From the year 1800, up to 1812, Knox county furnished a favorite resort for Armstrong and his tribe, in the fall of the year, as a site for hunting. Mr. Banning, in his history of Knox county, says the Indians congregated at Greentown, at the periods mentioned above, numbering from three to five hundred. During the summer seasons, various acts of hostility were attributed to Armstrong’s band, of which they were doubtless innocent. Collisions, therefore, between the white settlers of Knox county and the Greentown Indians, became frequent. The major part of the tribe, on the rumor of the approaching war, voluntarily left Greentown; but Armstrong and many others were loath to leave the hunting grounds of their youth— the graves of their fathers–the homes of their race. So Major Kratzer determined that Armstrong and his people should be removed to Urbana, as before described.
At the time James Copus, John Coulter, and Ebenezer Rice, first met Armstrong, he appeared to be about sixty-five years of age; was a small man, slightly stooped, rather dignified and reticent; dressed in full Indian costume, and appeared to advantage. He had two wives; one an old squaw, by whom he had James and Silas, and probably other children. He married a young squaw about 1808, by whom he had children. He frequently visited the first cabin of James Copus, where he made sugar the first spring after his arrival.
James and Silas often shot at a mark, with bows and arrows, with James and Wesley Copus, in the sugar camp. They also amused themselves by hopping, wrestling, and other boyish sports. Armstrong had two Indian servants or slaves, both deaf. They were of some other tribe. Armstrong appeared to be a harmless old chief, and treated his pioneer neighbors very kindly. At his request, James Copus preached a number of times to the Greentown Indians. After Douglas removed the Indians, Captain Armstrong settled with the Delawares in the Upper Sandusky region, and never returned to Greentown. The boys, James and Silas, frequently came back. The old chief was a good Indian doctor, and could talk very good English.
His descendants–the Armstrongs–intermarried with the Delawares and Wyandots, and finally removed, in 1828-29, west of the Mississippi.
It is believed that Captain Armstrong was born in Pennsylvania, of white parents, and was captured, when quite young, and adopted by the Delawares, and, becoming a leading warrior, was promoted to the office of chief.
There is a current legend among the pioneers of Green township, that Armstrong received his name, when a young man, from a successful contest with a black bear, just prior to his promotion to the chiefship. It runs thus: “Pamoxet was in the forest, hunting. He met and wounded a large black bear. The ferocity of the animal was aroused. It rushed upon him, and in an erect posture, seized his left arm and commenced to lacerate it. His gun being emptied, he seized a bowlder, and when the bear began to gnaw his arm, he used the bowlder upon its head. He soon compelled it to desist, and it fell dead at his feet. The Indians immediately recognized his heroic conduct, and called him Captain Strong Arm, or Armstrong.”
He died about the close of the war of 1812-15, on the Delaware reserve. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
DR. DAVID ARMSTRONG (Vermillion) p. 171(1)
Graduated in Jefferson Medical college, Philadelphia, in 1850, and was a physician of much promise. He deceased in 1852, much lamented by his friends and the profession. The late Doctor Armstrong was a large, finely developed gentleman, ruddy, and of imposing appearance. He possessed many of the characteristics of his ancestry, both in sense, wit and humor, and enjoyed a little fun and a hearty laugh. As a physician and businessman he stood deservedly high among his fellows, and was noted for frankness and directness in all his dealings with men. In politics, he was an old line Whig, and more recently a member of the Republican Party.
For one or two years prior to his last illness he had been in feeble health. His last sickness was the result of heart disease. For three or four months prior to his decease, he was constantly distressed by the growing malady, all of which he bore with exemplary fortitude and patience. His sufferings were brought to a close on the morning of December 14, 1876, and his remains were deposited in the cemetery at Hayesville.
The usual resolutions of the Ashland county Historical and Pioneer society, of which he was a member, were adopted, concerning his decease. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
DR. HARRISON ARMSTRONG (Vermillion) p. 170(1)
Was born near Wellsville, Columbiana county, Ohio, November 25, 1809. He was of Scotch-Irish descent, his grandfather having emigrated from the north of Ireland, and served as a soldier in the American Revolution. He removed with his father’s family to Canaan township, Wayne county, in the year of 1815. Here he attended the common schools of the neighborhood, and grew to manhood. He studied medicine under the instruction of the late Dr. L. F. Day, of Wooster, in 1828, and attended lectures in Cincinnati, at the Ohio Medical College, in the years 1830-1 and graduated. He practiced medicine in 1831 in company with Dr. Irvine, of Millersburgh, Holmes county, and in the spring of 1832 located in the village of Hayesville, in Ashland county, being the first regular physician who resided in that place. He soon won public confidence, and for a period of twenty years had a large and lucrative practice in Vermillion, Mohican, Green, and Mifflin townships. In 1853 he retired from practice, and devoted his time partly to the mercantile business, but chiefly to agriculture.
He owned a valuable farm in the vicinity of Hayesville, to which he removed, and brought to a high state of culture. He took great pride in the pursuits of agriculture, and was surrounded by all the comforts of a scientific farmer. He married in Hayesville, in 1837, Miss Margaret Cox, daughter of the late Rev. John Cox, of Mansfield, one of the pioneers of Vermillion township. His family consisted of nine children-six sons and three daughters. Two of his sons are dead. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
SAMUEL L. ARNOLD (Montgomery) p. 369(1)
Samuel L. Arnold was born in Milton township, Ashland county, Ohio, August 26, 1846. He spent his youth on the farm, and in 1876 commenced to read law with J.D. Jones of Ashland. Although he was considered by all to be perfectly competent to be admitted to the bar, and was earnestly urged by his friends to do so, he repeatedly declined to make the application. In 1878 he gave up his studies, and associated himself as a partner with G.S. Frantz in the boot and shoe business. In the winter of 1880 he bought out his partner, and is now sole owner of the stock. From 1870 to 1876 he was deputy probate judge and filled the office with great credit to himself and friends. April 4, 1871, he was married to Amanda M. Bryte, who was born in Montgomery township April 6, 1848. By this union three children have been born, two of whom are still living and named respectively; John E., who was born April 13, 1872, and Emma S., born December 5, 1873. The one who died was named Ross, who departed this life August 2, 1877, aged two months and twenty-three days. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
SOLOMON ARNOLD (Vermillion) p. 300(1)
Solomon Arnold, proprietor of the Vermillion hotel at Hayesville, Ohio, was born February 18, 1841, in Vermillion township. He remained and worked on the farm until he was twenty-seven years of age, and married Miss Harriet Vangilder, of Vermillion township, November 9, 1859. His father died in 1874, and his mother died in 1860. In 1870 Mr. Arnold moved from the old farmhouse to Hayesville, Ohio, and kept a livery stable, and in 1872 he took possession of the Vermillion house, and has managed it for the past eight years in connection with the livery business. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN ARTZ (Lake) p. 286(1)
John Artz, born in Ellsos, France, in 1830, came to America in 1852 and settled in Upper Canada, where he remained two years. Then he came to Ohio and settled in Holmes county, where he remained three months, when he went to California and was there six years engaged in gold mining. In 1861 he returned to Ohio and settled in Knox county, where he remained seven years. At the end of that time he came to Ashland county, and bought the farm on which he now lives. The offices of supervisor and school director he has filled; is a member of the Lutheran church, in which he has been elder for two years. In 1863, he married Elizabeth Motz, of Knox county, who had one child, and died in 1864. In 1865, he married Louisa Schauneker, of Ashland county, who has had six children. Their names are as follows: John A., who died in infancy; Gustave A., John W., Annie M., Louis P., Frederick C. and George E. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOSEPH AUSTIN (Mohican) p. 357(1)
Joseph Austin was born in England, near Seven Oaks, county of Kent, April 7,1802, and was a subject of King George III. In 1821 he, together with his father and one brother, came to America, and located in Mohican township, where he lived on a farm until 1832; he then engaged as a salesman in a store at Ashland, where he remained about one year, when he went back and took charge of his father’s farm, where he has since lived. His father died in 1843, and his mother in 1849. March 11, 1850, he went with a wagon-train the overland route to California, where he remained a little more than a year, when he returned, via San Francisco, by water, and bought his brother’s share in the old homestead. In April 1854, he was married to Catharine Heichel, and by this union had seven children, five of whom died in infancy. Two are still living: Josephine A., who was born July 12, 1860; and Lucy, born June 15, 1874. Mr. Austin and family now live a quiet life on the old homestead farm, near Jeromeville. Both himself and wife are members of the Lutheran church. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)