I's and J's
WILLIAM W. ILGAR (Clearcreek) p. 245(1)
WILLIAM W. ILGAR was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, June 27, 1813, and came to Ashland in 1836. He had learned his trade at harness making and as a saddler in Pennsylvania. When he first came to town he worked in the shop of the late Hugh Davis about three years, and started a shop of his own, and has continued in business since the year 1839. For the last ten years he has been engaged in carriage trimming, at which he is a fine mechanic. He was married to Miss Mahala Swineford, daughter of George Swineford, in 1842. His family consists of Charles, George, and Clara, and three boys dead. Charles, Clara and George are married. Mr. Ilgar is much respected as a citizen, and has frequently been elected to the town council and other offices. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
WILLIAM G. IMHOFF (Milton) p. 349(1)
William G. Imhoff, is the youngest of the seven children of William H. and Susan Imhoff, and was the only son of the family born in Ohio. His father moved into this State about the year 1834 and settled upon the farm in Milton township where his son now resides. There were seven children, and only one, William G., now resides in the county. One son, Alexander, is a Lutheran minister of some reputation, and resides in Urbana. The father died in 1872, and the mother in 1876. William G. was born April 16, 1840, on the place where he still resides. October 17, 1861, he was married to Martha Brown, of Richland county, by whom he has had six children: Albert R., William W., Susan D., Maggie R., Mattie A., and Elvero. Mr. Imhoff lives upon a farm of two hundred and forty acres, which denotes more than ordinary thrift and enterprise on the part of it owner, the buildings ranking with some of the best to be found in the township. He is an enterprising and thrifty farmer. Both he and his wife are members of the Lutheran church. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
E.H. INGMOND (Mohican) p. 358(1)
E.H. Ingmond, son of Judge Ingmond, was born January 4, 1844. His father was a native of Fairfield county, and his mother was born in the state of Maryland. She died when he was quite small, his father living one mile from Jeromeville. On the eleventh day of September 1861, he left home and went to Cleveland, where he enlisted in the Second Ohio cavalry. After thirteen months service, he was transferred to the Twenty-fifth Ohio independent artillery, which was stationed in Missouri and Arkansas, and was engaged principally in skirmishing with the enemy. During this service, he took part in the battle of Prairie Grove, Arkansas. February 15, 1863, he was mustered out at Little Rock, Arkansas, and immediately re-enlisted. He was in Captain Julius M. Hadley’s company, and served under Generals Sill, Davidson and Raynolds. During his service he was an orderly, then third duty sergeant, and finally orderly sergeant. He was mustered out of service at the close of the war, on September 17, 1865. Immediately after his discharge he came home, and was married September 25, 1866, to Elizabeth Pocock, daughter of Elijah and Mary Pocock. To them were born five children: Charley Clifford, born September 3, 1867; Frank Willard, born April 16, 1869; William Walter, born December 26, 1870; Howard Ashley, born March 11, 1873; and Mary Grace, born September 24, 1877. He now owns the farm formerly the property of Elijah Pocock, which is situated two miles southwest of Jeromeville, and contains one hundred and sixty-three acres. Both himself and his wife belong to the Lutheran church in Jeromeville, of which he became a member in 1868. At that time his wife was a member of the Presbyterian church, but transferred her membership to the Lutheran. In politics he is a Republican, and believes in the theory of Abraham Lincoln: “All men are, and of a right ought to be, free and independent.” (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
WILLIAM IRVIN (Green) p. 281(1)
William Irvin, father of Mrs. Adam Gretzinger, was born in Butler county, Pennsylvania, in 1798, and came to Ohio with his father in 1811. They first settled in the Darling neighborhood, in Green township. Farming was his occupation all through life. The office of constable he held for several years, and was one of the parties who assisted in ridding the county of the outlaws, Driscoll and Brawdy. In politics, he was a Republican; and he was a member of the Presbyterian church. January 13, 1823 he married Rachel Tannehill. She died February 13, 1880; he died September 12, 1879. He was the father of eight children, only four of whom are living: Melzer, Robert, John, and Rachel, wife of Adam Gretzinger. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
MARGARET ISAMAN (Vermillion) p. 309(1)
Margaret Isaman, widow of Jacob Isaman, was born in Mifflin township, Ashland county, Ohio, February 5, 1824. Philip Pressler, her father came to Ohio from Pennsylvania in 1822, and erected a log cabin in the woods, and by untiring energy and the assistance of his good wife, the old forest trees gave way, and in their stead it was not long until he had the pleasure of seeing waving fields of grain. Mrs. Isaman relates to the writer that her good mother, in order to assist her husband in clearing a spot to raise some garden stuff, would bend some saplings and tie a sheet to them, and place her babe in this as a cradle. But this is the kind of stuff our forefathers were made of, and to their hardships we are indebted for the appearance of this lovely country. Mrs. Isaman was twice married; first time, July 22, 1847, to Jacob Stoufer, who died in 1852. They had three sons, two of whom are married. The youngest, Samuel, is single. Oct 29, 1857, she married Jacob Isaman, by whom she had three children, two sons and one daughter. Mr. Isaman died September 2, 1877. Mrs. Isaman has a beautiful farm, containing over one hundred acres, and with the help of her boys keeps it in good shape. They are good, industrious young men, and are well calculated to take good care of their mother in her declining years. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
ANDREW JACKSON (Perry) p. 323(1)
Andrew Jackson, the seventh son of Henry and Hannah Jackson, was born February 28, 1828, in Mohican township, Ashland county, Ohio. He resided with his parents until the time of his marriage, March 21, 1850 to Miss Maria Swiegart, of Wayne county. To them were born nine children, four sons and five daughters. Their names are as follows: Catharine, John, Elizabeth, Melissa, William H., Mary, Andrew, Calista, and Amasa. Those deceased are John, William, Henry, Calista and Amasa. John died at the age of twenty-three; the others in early childhood. Andrew Jackson purchased the farm on which we now find him, in Perry township, in 1856. Both himself and his wife are active members of the Reformed church, and have been among its most liberal supporters. He has served in all the various positions of honor and trust. For two terms he served as infirmary director of the county, as justice of the peace in his township two terms, and repeatedly acted as township trustee, thus bespeaking for him the full appreciation of the people in his faithfulness and ability. He also served for eight different terms as director of his school district. His father and mother lie buried side by side in the old Meng cemetery. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
FRANK S. JAMISON (Montgomery) p. 368(1)
Frank S. Jamison was born in Maryland August 11, 1844, where he resided until the year 1864, when he removed to this county, and located in this township. May 12, 1869, he married Elizabeth Sutherland, who was born in this county, November 6, 1848. To them have been born four children, all of whom are living, named respectively, Martha A., who was born August 19, 1869; Lewis S., born October 16, 1871; Agnes L., born December 5, 1874; and Josephine H., born June 21, 1877. Our subject is by trade a harness-maker, and has also been in the mercantile business, but for the last few years he has paid all of his attention to the farm. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN JEFFREY (Clearcreek) [Source Unknown]
JOHN JEFFREY was born in Scotland, Parish of Alford, county of Aberdeen, in 1797; lived there until 1833, when he emigrated to the United States and settled in Clear Creek township, Ashland county, Ohio, on Section 11, on the farm he now owns. Since that time he has been rapidly improving in wealth, with many comforts surrounding him in his old age. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JACOB O. JENNINGS (Perry) p. 238(1)
Was born in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, January 21, 1819; he is of English-German descent. His father deceased when he was a child. He attended, in his youth, the common schools of his neighborhood, near Middletown, Pennsylvania; and when about fourteen years of age, removed with his mother and family to Perry township, Wayne (now Ashland) county, where he attended district school. In the spring of 1834, he entered the store of Michael D. Row, at Row’s corners, as a clerk, and remained about one year; then entered the employ of Joseph Naylor, as clerk, at Jeromeville, where he stayed until the fall of 1835. He then entered the employ of Crawford & Crites, merchants, at Wooster, and continued in their employ until 1838. In the spring of 1838, William Hatfield, then of Wooster, purchased a stock of goods at Loudonville, but circumstances preventing his going there himself, he employed Mr. Jennings to go and take charge of the store. In the fall of 1838, Mr. Hatfield and G. H. Stewart formed a partnership, and Mr. Jennings remained for, and in the interest of, Mr. Hatfield until August, 1842, when he returned to Jeromeville, and entered the employ of Robert McMahon. Soon after, he became a partner, and continued to do business until the spring of 1848. In the meantime, the county of Ashland was erected; and in March, 1847, Mr. Jennings was appointed clerk of the court of common pleas. In 1849, he removed with his family to Ashland. His term as clerk expired on the adoption of the constitution of 1851, and he retired in the winter of 1852. In the fall of 1851, the bank of Luther, Crall & Co., an institution of discount and deposit, was organized, and Mr. Jennings was elected cashier. In the fall of 1855, he was elected clerk of the court of common pleas of Ashland county, and held that office three years, at the same time conducting the affairs of the bank, as cashier. In 1864, the bank of Luther, Crall & Co. disbanded, and the First National Bank of Ashland was organized, under the laws of the United States, as a bank of issue and deposit, and Mr. Jennings was elected cashier by the stockholders, which position he held until 1870, when he was elected president, Mr. Joseph Patterson becoming the cashier. Mr. Jennings (1880) still continues president of the bank.
In the fullest sense of the term, he is a self-made man. In the death of his father, he was left without means to acquire a finished education. By close application, attention to business, and unquestioned integrity, he surrounded himself by friends, and made constant advancement in public confidence. Energetic, exact and upright in all his dealings with men, he commands the respect of the poor, as well as the thrifty. He has been twice married; his children are all deceased. He has been a member of the Presbyterian church, of Ashland, since 1856. (Transcribed by Penny Hanes PHanes1368@aol.com) (Contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN BAPTISTE JEROME (Mohican) p. 127(1)
John Baptiste Jerome was born near Montreal, Canada, of French parents, in the year 1776 or 1777. When seventeen or eighteen years of age he crossed the lake with some French emigrants and settled among the Indians at the mouth of Huron river. He married an Indian girl, supposed to have been the sister of a noted Indian known as George Hamilton. After remaining on the Huron a few years, he moved to Upper Sandusky and resided among the Indians until the campaign of General Anthony Wayne. In company with Captain Pipe, of the Delawares, he was engaged in a number of battles against the American forces, and was at the famous battle of “Fallen Timbers.” At the time of his residence in this county, he often related anecdotes concerning that battle, describing the amazement of the Indians at the rapidity and violence of the movements of Wayne’s army–the Indians comparing him to a huge “black snake,” and ascribing almost supernatural powers to him. He asserted, that for a long time, the very name of “Mad Anthony” sent a chill of horror through the body of an Indian. They had, prior to the appearance of General Wayne, baffled the armies of the American generals, and committed many barbarities upon the wounded and dead soldiers left upon the battle field; but, when he came, like a huge anaconda, he enclosed and crushed the warriors in such a frightful manner that they abandoned all hope of resisting his victorious march, and were glad to stop his ravages by making peace.
After the treaty at Greenville in 1795, Jerome, Captain Pipe, and a number of the Delawares left the northwest and settled at what was formerly Mohican Johnstown, on the south side of the stream, about three quarters of a mile from the present site of Jeromeville. The stream was thenceforth known as the Jerome fork, which name it doubtless received from Jerome. The precise period of this migration can not be accurately fixed, but was doubtless as early as 1796 or 1797. Jerome crossed the stream and built a cabin a little southeast of the present site of the mill, where Joseph H. Larwill found him, his wife and daughter, while surveying, in 1806-7. Captain Pipe built a wigwam and located, south of the stream, and about one mile from Jerome, near what is now the Hayesville road. When the first settlers came into Killbuck, now Mohican township, Jerome resided in the aforesaid cabin, and had some thirty-five or forty acres of land cleared along on the bottom, on the banks of the stream, which he cultivated in corn. * He resided in his cabin with his wife Mary or Munjela, who was about fifteen years old when the war of 1812 was declared. A short time prior to the declaration of war, Captain Pipe and all his Delawares, except three or four friendly and harmless families, quietly slipped away and joined their friends in the northwest. When Captain Murray came to Jerome’s place to build the block-house, it is asserted by some of the pioneers, that by order of General Beall, Jerome was arrested and sent to the block-house at Wooster, where he was confined for a short time as a precaution against furnishing aid and comfort to the Indians who might be found prowling about the forest; and that while he was at Wooster, Captain Murray sent his (Jerome’s), wife and daughter to Urbana, where they subsequently died from exposure. Another statement is, that when Captain Douglas removed the Greentown Indians the wife and daughter of Jerome, with others, accompanied them, Jerome voluntarily remaining to take care of his stock, of which he was well supplied, and his cabin and household goods; and that he was not confined at Wooster. We accept the latter statement as being the most probable; for there were no Indians at the arrival of General Beall to be sent away, and we have no account of a separate expedition from that of Douglas to convey the Indians to Urbana.
Jerome is said to have been warmly attached to his wife and daughter, and deeply mourned his separation from them; and often reproached the military for enforcing so cruel an edict. He never looked upon their faces again; for long before the close of the war, they were both in the grave. Prior to his being separated from his wife, Jerome was noted for his hospitality–his wife being an excellent cook and housekeeper, considering her opportunities, Jerome being her only instructor as to domestic duties. During the prevalence of the war, Jerome remained at the block-house among the pioneers who sought protection there in 1812-’13-’14. The loyalty of Jerome was beyond question. On several occasions he evinced as much zeal in protecting the neighboring cabins as his pioneer companions of the block-house. He was a small man–vivacious and positive. Though impulsive, and at times irritable and bitter in his resentments, he was generous and brave, and firmly attached to his friends. He was endowed with a good understanding, and could converse in French and Indian, and sufficiently well to be understood in English. Before his separation from his wife and daughter his circumstances were prosperous, being in possession of a lot of cattle, hogs and horses–a few fields of cleared land, with a comfortable cabin. At the close of the war, everything went wrong with him–his property was dispersed and his affairs began to go to ruin. He married a German woman on the Clear fork, with whom he lived until he sold his farm. He sold the farm, occupying the present site of Jeromeville, in the winter of 1815, to Christian Deardorf and William Vaughn, and purchased the farm upon which Goudy’s mill was subsequently erected, about two miles southwest of his old farm. He remained here some time, and sold the land to Joseph Workman, who sold it to Constance Lake for a mill site. Jonathan Palmer was his neighbor for three years, and always spoke kindly of Jerome. About the year 1817 Jerome and his German wife removed to his old residence at the mouth of Huron river, where he died a few years afterward, in residence at the mouth of Huron river, where he died a few years afterwards, in indigent circumstances, leaving his wife and one child, who returned to Richland where they remained. Jerome is believed to have been the first white settler within the present limits of Ashland county, his arrival antedating that of Alexander Finley and Andrew Craig some eight or nine years.
*When the old Portage road was surveyed in 1810, Peter Kinney, afterward Judge Kinney, was one of the party, and found Jerome’s cabin as above stated, near the foot of Main street, in Jeromeville, on the south side. See also, biography of Alexander Finley and letter of James Finley.
(Transcribed by Penny Hanes PHanes1368@aol.com) (Contributed by Russ Shopbell)
AMBROSE B. JOHNSON (Sullivan) p. 353(1)
Ambrose B. Johnson was born in the State of New York in 1811, came to Ohio with his father and received such an education as the district schools of that time afforded. He married Mary Van Wagnor in Portage county, Ohio, and came to Ashland county in 1842, and settled on the farm on which he now lives, where he is engaged in farming and dairying. In politics he is a Republican. He is the father of eight children: Joseph O., who married Ann E. Parker, and lives in Ashland county; Cyrus W., who married Sarah S. Ogden, and lives in Lorain county; Henrietta, wife of Marcus DeMoss; Harriet, wife of Leonard A. Coles, afterwards wife of Isaac N. McHose; Mary E., formerly wife of Ransom Persons, now wife of Rufus DeMoss; Garret A., who married Mary E. Baldwin; George W., who married Helen Drake; Charles E. who married Alice Hewitt. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JERIAH JOHNSON (Orange) p. 345(1)
Jeriah Johnson, oldest child of John and Mary Johnson, was born in Wayne county, Ohio, January 5, 1827. In the spring of 1857 he came to Ashland county and was a resident of the county up to the time of his death, which occurred February 23, 1872. May 20, 1852 he was married to Lydia Hoover, daughter of Philip and Catharine Hoover, who was born in Stark county, Ohio, January 13, 1830. They had a family of eight children as follows: Sylvester, Harris L., Wilbert H., Clement H., Mary A., Jerusha A., Emma C. and one who died in infancy. All the others are living except Sylvester. Mrs. Johnson is a member of the Presbyterian church and with the assistance of her three sons does the farming on the old place. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOSEPH JOHNSON (Sullivan) p. 353(1)
Joseph Johnson was born in Vermont in 1782 and married Lovina Blake in New York. She died in May 1836, in Summit county, Ohio. She was the mother of twelve children. He then married Mrs. Osborn in Portage county, Ohio, and, after her death he married Betsheba Ogdon, who now resides in Michigan. Mr. Johnson came to Ohio in 1822, and first settled in Portage county where he remained twenty years, and then moved to Ashland county, and settled on the farm now owned by his grandson, Joseph Johnson. He was engaged in farming all his life, and was a member of the Baptist church. He took part in the war of 1812, and in politics was an old-line Whig until the Republican party was organized, when he became a Republican. He died in 1866. Mr. Johnson was the father of twelve children, only four of whom are living: Ambrose B., who married Mary Van Wagnor; Nancy, who became the wife of William Sherwood, and afterwards wife of Sterling Acker; Lovina, wife of Gideon R. Bowker, of Dakota; and Elizabeth, wife of Jonathan Chase of Maryland. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN F. JOHNSTON (Green) p. 275(1)
John F. Johnston, son of Thomas Johnston, was born in Ashland county in 1834, and studied medicine with Dr. Glass, of Hayesville, Ohio, two years, and graduated at Jefferson college, Philadelphia. He commenced the practice of medicine in Perrysville, in 1858, where he still remains. In 1857 he married Mary A. McCready, who died in 1874. In 1877 he married Miss A.E. Ullman, and in 1879 married Miss Florence Smith. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church; and in politics is a Republican. He is the father of five children: Florence E., wife of Norman Strickler, of Perrysville; Thomas V., in California; Mary D., Carrie, and Stewart, deceased. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
THOMAS JOHNSTON (Green) p. 274(1)
Thomas Johnston, was born in 1809, came from Westmoreland county, Tennessee, to Ohio in 1827, and settled in Green township, on the farm now owned by William McIlvain. For twelve years he drove a stage, drawn by six horses, between Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Mansfield, Mt. Vernon, New Lisbon, and other points. In politics he was an old-line Whig. He was a member of the Universalist church. He married Sarah A. Workman in 1833, and was the father of thirteen children, of whom only four are living: John F., who married Mary A. McCready, and lives in Ashland county; Harriet J., wife of William Armstrong, of Ashland county; Robert W., who lives in Galion; and Charles F., who lives in California. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
SOLOMON JONACAKE (Mifflin) p. 129(1)
A short time before the removal of the Greentown Indians, a good-natured, fine-looking Delaware warrior, by the name of Solomon Jonacake, located among the tribe, and soon became fascinated with the charming Sally Williams. He proffered her his hand in marriage, saying: ” Me want squaw velly bad. Me like squaw. Me want Sally for squaw.” The proffer was accepted on condition that the marriage ceremony should be after the manner of the whites, and by a white man. Sally exacted these conditions on the ground that she had already been twice married to recreant young warriors, and the Indian ceremony had failed to “stick.”
Jonacake was but too happy to comply, for he “wanted Sally velly bad.” There being no minister in that region authorized to perform the ceremony, they went to the cabin of Peter Kinney, who was justice of the peace, and he married them. It was a good job, for Jonacake proved a kind and faithful husband. Abram Williams was very proud of the choice of Sally, and stated to Mr. Elijah Harter, of Mifflin, that “Jonacake was a good Indian. He no heathen Indian. He Moravian Indian. He be kind to Sally. He velly good Christian Indian.”
When the Greentown Indians were removed, in 1812, to Urbana, Williams, Jonacake and wife accompanied their friends. After the war, they and many other Greentown Indians returned annually to hunt, for ten or twelve years. Jonacake hunted a good deal in what is now Lake township, placing his wigwam near a good spring, where Sally presided like an Indian queen. Many of the brooks in Lake yet bear his name.
In 1819, he encamped in the spring and fall, on a bottom west of the Black fork, in the vicinity of the present residence of Daniel Hoover, some three miles northwest of the village of Mifflin. While there, Mrs. Hoover visited the bark wigwam of Jonacake, and spent some hours with Sally, who could converse very well in German. At that time Jonacake had two interesting little boys, aged respectively about five and seven years. Mrs. Hoover says Sally was an interesting woman, and her children were very neatly kept. Her little boys were handsomely clothed in dressed deer-skin, after the Indian style. Everything exhibited an air of comfort and contentment.
During the interview, Sally complained of being surfeited on venison, and expressed a wish for salt pork. Mrs. Hoover agreed to exchange pound for pound. Sally was delighted. A few mornings after the visit, Jonacake appeared very early at the door of Mr. Hoover’s cabin with a load of fresh venison. Hoover went to his smoke-house and selected the pork which he proposed to exchange, and having weighed it, handed it to Jonacake. The good-natured hunter appeared much pleased with the trade. Breakfast being then ready, Mr. Hoover politely invited Jonacake to eat. He readily consented, and took a seat at the table. He behaved with becoming modesty, and handled his knife, fork and cup with as much skill as a white man.
Mr. Hoover says Jonacake was a tall, fine looking Indian, and would weigh, perhaps, one hundred and sixty or one hundred and seventy pounds. He seemed to be imbued with the doctrines of the Moravians. Sally was a firm believer in that faith; and Jonacake and his family observed the Sabbath much more faithfully than the semi-christianized borderers who surrounded them. Mr. Hoover regarded his Indian neighbor as harmless, and as possessing integrity to a remarkable degree. He often met him in the forest hunting, and says he was always courteous and good-humored. Sally was, in his opinion, a remarkable woman, considering the fact that she never had any of the advantages of civilized life.
Mr. Knapp refers to the residence of Jonacake in Clearcreek township at a late date. In 1824, in the spring, Jonacake had a wigwam in the vicinity of the present site of Savannah. While there, one Sabbath, Hance McMeekin and Andrew Clark visited his wigwam, and entered into conversation with Sally. McMeekin was a merry, fun-making sort of a pioneer, and relished a good joke. After saluting Sally and her little boys, he inquired as to the success of Jonacake in hunting.
Sally–“Not very good. Last Sunday, Jonacake saw a number of deer, while hunting his horses that had strayed away; but being without a gun, they escaped.”
McMeekin—“Without his gun! Why did he go without it?”
Sally—“He never carries his gun on Sunday.”
McMeekin—“What do you know about Sunday? Do you know when that day comes?”
Sally—“Do you suppose I am an animal? I am a human being, and know when Sunday comes as well as the white people.”
McMeekin—“Do all the Indians know when Sunday comes?”
Sally—“They very generally do; but, like most of the white people, fail to keep it.”
This retort satisfied McMeekin, and he ceased to poke his fun at Sally.
McMeekin often related this adventure with great glee, and conceded that Sally was rather spicy in her dialogue with him.
Jonacake and other Indians, at that period, often visited the mill of Martin Mason, where Leidigh’s now stands, to purchase corn-meal in exchange for pelts and venison. Andrew Mason remembers him distinctly.
In the treaty of 1817, at the Maumee rapids, a reservation, three miles square, south of the Wyandots, was allowed the remnant of Delawares from Jerometown and Greentown. Jonacake is named as one of the joint proprietors.
In 1829, when the Delawares were removed to their new home, west of the Mississippi, Jonacake and his family went along.
Jonacake died on the Delaware reservation, in Kansas, leaving two or three sons. In the war of the Rebellion of 1861-5, three grandsons of Jonacake served in company M, Sixth regiment of Kansas volunteer infantry, under Captain John W. Duff. Their names were: John, Benjamin, and Philip Jonacake. Captain Duff says they were excellent soldiers. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
FREDERICK JONES (Montgomery) p. 371(1)
Frederick Jones was born in the county of Kent, England, February 22, 1809, where he resided until the age of forty years, when he came to this country, and located in Montgomery township, Ashland county, Ohio, where he has since resided. He was married January 1, 1826 to Eliza Pickett, who also was born in Kent, England, March 9, 1810, where she resided until 1850, when she came to this country to join her husband. To them were born two children, who are still living, and named Jane, who was born in 1827 – she married John Shepard in England, but they now reside here; Harriet, who was born in England also, in 1829, and married there, but now resides here. Mr. Jones has sixteen grandchildren and fifteen great-grandchildren. He is a brick and tile manufacturer, which business he has followed since his residence here. He paid some attention to the farm, but for the past few years has turned all of his attention to manufacturing tile, and he is considered proficient at his business and his aim is to please every one with work and low prices. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN JONES SR. (Green) p. 276(1)
John Jones, sr., born in Washington county, Maryland, in 1808, came to Wayne county, Ohio, in 1819, where he remained until 1847, when he settled in Ashland county, on the farm on which he now lives, In 1840 he married Susan Bowers of Wayne county. He has been engaged in farming all his life. He is a member of the Reformed church, and one of its main supporters. In politics he is a Democrat. He is the father of eight children: Barbara, Catharine, Minerva, wife of William Carpenter, of Ashland county; Benjamin, who married Rebecca Dillier, and lives in Ashland county; Jane, Levi, who died when three years of age; John and Annie. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JUDGE JOHN D. JONES (Montgomery) p. 380(1)
Judge Jones was born in Shippensburg, Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, June 25, 1815. He learned the trade of a tailor in Chambersburgh, Franklin county, and after working at his trade in different towns of his native State for some years, came to Ohio in April, 1838, and stopped at Wooster, Wayne county, six months, and then located in Jeromeville, now in Ashland county, and carried on his trade, in which, being a good workman, he was always successful. In 1842 he married Louisa, daughter of Henry Andress, who was born in Maryland, and came to Ohio about the year 1830, and died about seven years since. Mr. Andress prided himself as a teamster, having a very fine six-horse team with bells, and the best styled wagon; he was constantly engaged in hauling the produce of the west to Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Baltimore, and returning loaded with merchandise. He possessed all the pride of the old-time teamsters, among whom he was regarded as a hero; he was a man of excellent character, benevolent, upright and exemplary. His widow, Mary Andress, survived him about five years. Mr. Jones was appointed deputy sheriff under Isaac Gates, and removed to Ashland in 1849, carrying on a merchant tailor and clothing business until 1852, when he was elected sheriff, and served two terms. In 1857 he was elected probate judge, and served two terms. In 1860 he was elected justice of the peace, and has since been three times re-elected. In 1857 he became a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, being one of its official members, but that which he seems most to delight in is his connection with the Sabbath-school, of which he has been a teacher ever since he united with the church. For more than twenty years he has been an attorney at law, and has made probate business and collecting a specialty. He and his family reside at Ashland, having had five children, two of whom–Sumner Pixley and Mary S. M. Landes–have died. Those still living are: H. D. Jones, of the firm of Freer & Jones; Samuel R. Jones, and Anna Alsdorf. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOSEPH JONES (Green) p. 277(1)
Joseph Jones, born in Essex county, New York, in 1807, came to Ohio with his father in 1813, and settled on the farm now owned by Emanuel Millegan, in Green township, Ashland county. He has been engaged in farming all his life, and has by industry and economy secured a comfortable fortune, and is a respected member of society. He has always taken a deep interest in educational matters; is a member and firm supporter of the Baptist church, and assisted in the erection of the first Baptist church that was built in Green township. In 1830 he married Alcinda Bacorn, of Virginia, and is the father of eleven children: Phoebe E., wife of Joachim Woodhull; Martha A., (deceased,) wife of Peter Vanscoic; Hannah V., wife of William Metcalf, and afterward wife of Gilbert Peterson, of Marshall county; Amasa B. who married Melinda Baker, and lives in Ashland county; William R., who died at Vicksburgh; Adelaide, wife of Joshua Lemart, who lives in Kansas; Alcinda L., deceased; Joseph M., who married Josephine Thompson, and lives in Ashland county; Mary C., wife of William Shelley, who lives in Kansas; Emma F., wife of Jacob Portz of Ashland county; and Rebecca E., wife of John Hunter, of Ashland county. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)