Saal - Sheets
GEORGE SAAL (Montgomery) p. 378(1)
George Saal was born in Germany, and came to the United States in 1859, first settling in Wayne county, from whence he removed to Ashland in 1866. His parents, Peter and Eva Wise Saal, were natives of Hesse Darmstadt, where they were married about 1829, and raised a family of nine children, as follows: Mary, Peter, Henry, John, Jacob, George, and Leonard, besides two who died. Of these five are in this country. In 1869, George Saal went to Wooster and there married Louisa Young, returning to Ashland the following year. Her parents were also natives of Germany. They have two children–Mary Eliza, born in 1871, and Henry born in 1874. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
HARVEY SACKET (Ruggles) p. 179(1)
Was born in Warren, Connecticut, December 24, 1791. He came to Tallmadge, Ohio, with his father in 1811. In 1812 he was drafted, and served six months in the army of the northwest. In 1816 he returned to Connecticut and married Thalia Eldred, and located in Tallmadge until 1825, when he removed to Ruggles township, on lot eleven, section three. He removed with ox teams, and owing to sparseness of settlers, and the narrow forest paths, was eight days on the way. Mr. Sacket died August 11, 1875. He was twice married. His family by his first wife was: Dimmes, wife of Mr. Smith; Erastus and Erasmus M; Irena, wife of C. Curtiss. His first wife died in 1843, and in 1844 he married Mrs. Mary Van Vranken, widow of Garrett Van Vranken. He had one son, Justus H. Sacket, by his second wife. Justus resides on the homestead. Mr. Sacket was long a member of the Congregational church, and was an excellent citizen. He was the first justice of Ruggles. Most of the family resides in Ruggles township. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
REV. WILLIAM SADLER (Montgomery) p. 377(1)
William Sadler was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, January 16, 1829. His parents’ names were Joseph and Elizabeth. He moved with them to Wood county, Virginia, and from there back to Greene county, Pennsylvania. At the age of twelve years he had attended school three months. Near that time his mother died, and he found a home with Jonathan Miller, where he resided until after the age of twenty-one years. In the fall of 1849 he attached himself to the German Baptists or Brethren (commonly known as Dunkard Baptists), with whom he has been ever firm. Miller, on his death bed, requested him to take care of his stock until sold. He attended school nine months at Greene academy, Pennsylvania and taught school sixteen months in the district in which he formerly lived. In the spring of 1854 he emigrated to Licking county, Ohio, and engaged in teaching, obtaining his first certificate in two hours after entering the examination room. In all he taught forty-four months. In the fall of 1856 he was united in marriage bonds with Miss Emeline Wolf, of Liberty township, Licking county, Ohio. The names of her parents were Joshua and Susannah. He was called to the ministry in 1859, and in 1865 moved with his family of two children to Ashland county, where he now resides, having a family of four children–two sons and two daughters, three of whom are members of the church. His youngest son is only four years old. He was one of the charterers of the Ashland College, and is now one of the trustees. The congregation in which he resides numbers nearly one hundred members. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JEREMIAH SANBORN (Hanover) p. 293(1)
Jeremiah Sanborn was born in Chichester, New Hampshire, in 1795; and came to Ohio in July 1837, and settled in Loudonville. By trade he was a carpenter and joiner. He was a member of the Swedenborgian church, and in politics was an old-line Whig. He married Clarissa Smith, and died on September 14, 1846. His wife survived him and died in 1866. To them four children were born: Gilman S., and Jeremiah L., who are living in Colorado; Joseph H., who married Clara Smith, and lives in Loudonville, and Charles H., living in Nevada. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOSEPH SANBORN (Hanover) p. 293(1)
Joseph Sanborn was born in New Hampshire and came to Ohio with his father in 1837. In 1864 he married Clara Smith, and for some time made clerking his business. He was in the employ of N. Haskell, afterwards with Taylor & Larwille, of Loudonville. He has been ticket agent in Loudonville for the Pittsburgh, Ft. Wayne & Chicago railroad for the last twenty-two years, and has held the office of town clerk for two terms. He is a consistent member of the Presbyterian church, an exemplary man, honored and respected by all. In politics he is a Republican. He has had four children: Haven L., Mary A., Clarissa L., (deceased), and Gilman S. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
PETER SANDERS, JR. (Lake) p. 286(1)
Peter Sanders, Jr. was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, in 1820, and came to Ohio with his father. Mr. Sanders never married, but he lives on the old homestead. Though not a member of any church, he contributes liberally to all the churches in the vicinity, and takes a deep interest in all educational matters. For three years he has held the office of school director, and is an influential and respected member of society. In politics, he is a Republican. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
PETER SANDERS, SR. (Lake) p. 286(1)
Peter Sanders, Sr. born in Lebanon county, Pennsylvania, in 1792, came to Ohio in 1829, and first settled in Stark county, where he remained six years. In 1835, he came to Ashland county and settled in Lake township, on the farm now owned by Peter Sanders, jr. By trade he was a weaver, and worked at that business as long as he lived; he was a member of the German Baptist church. In Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, he married Hannah Botenstat. She died in 1867, and he died in 1876, the father of ten children: Peter, Jacob, who married Mary Karns, and lives in Indiana; Fannie, wife of Fleetus Dow; Samuel, who married Sarah Wright, Hannah, wife of George Wolf; George, Henry and Susan, who died when young; Mary and John. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
GODFREY SCHAUWEKER (Hanover) p. 292(1)
Godfrey Schauweker was born at Strasburgh on the Rhine, in 1830, and came to America with his father in 1852. In 1855 he married Sarah Ullman and settled in Loudonville, where he has held the offices of town clerk and councilman for several years. In January, 1876, he commenced the business of banking, and is still engaged in it, besides having a tannery in Loudonville and holding a share in a tannery in Columbus, Ohio, doing business under the firm name of Schauweker & Brothers. The Schauweker family, as far back as they can be traced, were tanners. Godfrey is a member of the German Lutheran church, a Democrat in politics, and the father of seven children: William F., Julia, Mary, Edward, Frank, Herman and Frederick. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN SCHAUWEKER (Hanover) p. 292(1)
John Schauweker came from Strasburgh on the Rhine, and settled in Loudonville in 1855. He was a tanner by trade, and carried on that business in Loudonville for six years, under the firm name of John Schauweker & Son. In 1861 he bought the farm now owned by Jackson Strausbaugh, moved on it, and lived there until his death, which occurred in 1871. He was a Democrat in politics, and a member of the German Lutheran church. He was the father of seven children, Godfrey, who married Sarah Ullman, and lives in Loudonville; Caroline, who became the wife of Michael Ullman, and lives in Holmes county; Louisa, who became the wife of John Arts, and lives in Ashland county; William, who married Louisa Wise, and lives in Marseilles, France; Gustavus, who married Mary Long, and lives in Columbus; Frederika, who married Gotlieb Myer, and lives in Danville, Illinois; Julia, who became the wife of John Faulkhaber, and lives in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
GEORGE SCHNEIDER (Montgomery) p. 371(1)
George Schneider was born in Knox township, Holmes county, this State, December 31, 1843, where he resided until he was twenty-three years old. From that place he removed to Loudonville, this county [Ashland], where he resided three years, when he came to Ashland, where he has since resided. December 4, 1873, he was married to Miss Louisa Kuntner, who was born in the city of New York, December 15, 1856. To them has been born one child, who is still living–Magdalena K.–who was born November 8, 1878. Mr. Schneider spent the early part of his life on the farm with his father, but for the past fifteen years he has been in the confectionery and baker business, which vocation he still follows, and now has a store located at this place. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
ALFORD SCOTT (Perry) p. 328(1)
Alford Scott, third son of James and Mary Scott, was born in Ashland county, then Perry township, Wayne county, in the year 1840, and lived with his parents until the time of his marriage, in the year 1860, on Christmas day, to Miss Mary Margaret Meng. To Mr. and Mrs. Scott have been born three children, one son and three daughters, as follows: Laura, Ellen, one dying in infancy, and Elmore D., the only surviving heir; Laura died in early childhood. While he is not associated with any church organization, he is a firm advocate of law and order. For a period of four years he served as trustee of his township. His father and mother are both deceased, and lie buried in the Jeromeville cemetery. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
DR. ANDREW J. SCOTT (Hanover) p. 167(1) Entry #1
Was born in Richland county, Ohio, November 12, 1827. He obtained a liberal education, and upon reaching manhood became a successful teacher. He was principal of the Loudonville Academy for some years. He read medicine in the office of Dr. E.B. Fuller, attended lectures at Starling medical college, Columbus, Ohio, at Buffalo University, at the medical department of Harvard college, and college of physicians and surgeons. He opened an office in Loudonville, in 1853, and has been in successful practice to the present, 1876. Since his graduation he has become a member of the Ashland county medical society, and also of the Ohio State medical society. He is also corresponding member of the gynecological society of Boston, and a member of the American medical association. He takes a deep interest in literary pursuits, and when a teacher, was regarded as one of the best mathematicians in the county. He has been three times married, twice to daughters of Doctor E.B. Fuller. He is of Scotch-Irish descent, and possesses all the enthusiasm of both races. Possessed of a strong will, he is resolute in the prosecution of whatever he deems right. If health permits, he has the attainments to achieve a fine reputation in the medical profession. He would acquit himself ably in any of the medical colleges of this State. He is a fluent conversationalist, a ready speaker, and a clear thinker. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
ANDREW J. SCOTT (Hanover) p. 297(1) Entry #2
Andrew J. Scott, the subject of this sketch, was born in Ashland county in 1827; attended school at the Ashland academy while Loren Andrews was proprietor, and also at Vermillion institute at Hayesville, under Lewis Granger, Rev. McClain, Rev. W.W. Colmery, and others. For two years he taught in the Loudonville academy, and studied medicine with E.B. Fuller and is also a graduate of Buffalo university. He is a doctor of the old school, and has the largest practice of any physician in Loudonville; has held the office of mayor of Loudonville for several years, and was at one time a member of the school board, and has always taken a deep interest in educational matters. In 1852 he married Miss S.M. Fuller, who died in 1854. In 1856 he married Anna Fuller, who died in 1864. Then, in 1867, he married Charlotte Garret. In politics he is a Democrat. He is the father of four children: L. Content, Charles B., S. Hattie, wife of Henry W. Gilbert, of Loudonville, and Idella A. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
HUGH SCOTT (Hanover) p. 297(1)
Hugh Scott was born in Pennsylvania in 1785, came to Ohio in 1827, and settled near Steubenville, where he died May 22, 1827. In 1807 he married Catharine Humphries. In the year of his death she removed to Ashland county, and settled on the farm now owned by William Humphrey, in Green township. In the following spring she moved into Vermillion township on the farm now owned by O.H. Scott. She died while on a visit to her old home in Mifflin county, Pennsylvania, November 21, 1854. Mr. Scott was the father of eight children, of whom Thomas, Jane, James, Francis, and Winfield are dead. William married Margaret Sigler, and lives in Ada, Hardin county, Ohio. Oliver H. married Eliza J. Tawney, and lives in Vermillion township. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN SCOTT (Vermillion) p. 317(1) Entry #1
John Scott was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, July 6, 1817, where he resided until the age of seventeen years, at which time his parents removed to this county and located in Vermillion township. Mr. Scott has always lived in the county, with the exception of two years he spent in Hancock county. He has lived in this township twenty-three years. Andrew Scott, his father was born in Washington county Pennsylvania, in 1769. His mother was born in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania in 1785. They reared a family of twelve children, all of whom lived to maturity. Their names were: Margaret, Elizabeth, Jane, Sarah, Mary, John, Duncan, Andrew, Joseph P., Alexander, David, and Jason. All are living but Elizabeth, Sarah, and Duncan, and all are married but Jason. John is the sixth child, and was married April 25, 1837, to Julia Ann Arnold, who was born in Vermillion township. The fruits of this union are twelve children, ten of whom are living: Catharine A., who was born May 24, 1842; John F., who was born March 6, 1844; Harriet Jane, who was born December 22, 1845; Calista C., who was born October 25, 1847; Julia I., who was born March 12, 1850; Mary Amanda, born April 7, 1852; Joseph P., who was born January 19, 1857; James R., who was born January 7, 1860; Ann E., who was born November 16, 1862; and Arizona, who was born October 5, 1868. All are married but three–Joseph P., James R., and Arizona. One child died in infancy, and Andrew departed this life July 2, 1841, age fifteen months. Mr. Scott is a farmer. He run a threshing-machine for twenty-eight years in succession, and from time to time since, but for the past six years he has paid all his attention to his farm and stock. Arizona, the youngest, is the only child living at home. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN SCOTT (Vermillion) p. 155(1) Entry #2
Was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, in the year 1793. He continued to reside in that county until he was about twenty-six years of age. He attended the neighborhood schools until he had obtained a fair knowledge of the English branches. His father was a farmer, and had located in the wilds of Washington county after the close of the Revolution, and was of Scotch-Irish extraction. Mr. Scott grew up an active, robust, and intelligent young man, and evinced an inclination to locate amid the forests of the Ohio country, as this State was then called.
In October, 1818, he married Miss Matilda Weakley, of Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, and in the spring of 1819 removed to the west part of Vermillion township, Richland (now Ashland,) county, to the land now known as the Joshua Campbell farm, where he purchased some two hundred and twenty acres, erected a cabin, and commenced the arduous task of cutting away the forest to prepare fields for cultivation, and his future home. When he arrived the settlements in Vermillion were vary sparse. When a cabin was to be erected, it required a circuit of many miles to procure hands sufficient to accomplish the task. When he commenced his pioneer home, it is believed that Peter and John Vangilder, Joseph Strickland and his sons, William S. and Joseph, William Reed, Mr. Harlan, Mr. Lattimer, George Eckley, Ezra Warner, Ephraim Eckley, Mr. Crabb, Mr. Beabout, Mr. Beck, Mr. Wallace, and a few others, were the only residents of the township. These families were very much scattered, and the only intercourse was in assisting each other in preparing cabins, rolling logs and the like. Mr. Scott continued active operations as a pioneer farmer about twelve years, and then located at Hayes’ Cross Roads, where the town of Hayesville now stands, in the winter of 1831, and opened a small store. The store-room was in a log cabin on what is known as Armstrong’s corner. He subsequently erected a more substantial building, and entered into partnership with Mr. Daniel Porter, in the dry goods business. The new firm was remarkably prosperous, and did an active trade for that day.
Mr. Scott was a quiet, clear-headed, far-seeing man, and gave his energies full scope. A want of suitable markets for the surplus products of the pioneer farmers greatly embarrassed them. Mr. Scott became convinced that he could greatly relieve these embarrassments by purchasing the surplus cattle and horses, in driving them to a suitable market. He entered largely into that enterprise and by his promptness; fidelity and shrewd management, not only relieved the farmer–to their profit–of such stock, but also greatly benefited the firm. At a subsequent date, when Pittsburg, Portland (now Sandusky City), Cleveland and Milan were the only markets for the surplus wheat of the township, which had to be hauled over rough roads at great expense, Mr. Scott came to the rescue of the farmers by erecting a mill in 1847, and converting a large quantity of wheat annually into first class flour. In this, as in all other enterprises, fortune favored the brave. He continued in trade and the mercantile business about thirty years. In the meantime he sold his Armstrong corner to Jacob Kinnaman and purchased, in 1840, what is known as the Francis Graham brick building on the opposite corner south, and continued in business until 1846, when he sold to Messrs. Cox & Higbee, and practically retired from active mercantile business. In 1857 his son Weakley W. entered into business at the old stand and continued several years. Mr. Scott died in 1864. Age seventy-two years, and was buried on a beautiful Indian mound within the corporation of Hayesville, where Mrs. Scott and other members of the family were subsequently interred. Mr. Scott was a large man, full six feet high and of fine appearance. He was calm and dignified in his deportment. He was noted for his business integrity, good judgment, prudence and shrewdness. Very few men have accomplished as much, and none have distributed more benefits in this county. While he regarded business as a businessman, and insisted upon promptness and integrity at all times, he was sympathetic and charitable to a remarkable degree; and while in business never distressed the poor. This excellent trait was rewarded by great fidelity on the part of those whom he befriended, so much so that he was accustomed to state ” he rarely lost a cent by trusting a poor man.”
Mr. Scott left three sons and one daughter at his decease, Mr. W. W. Scott, who resides near Hayesville, John Scott, a lawyer, who resides and practices his profession in Cleveland, Dr. David Scott, who married the only daughter of Governor Allen, and who resides at Fruit Hill, near the city of Chillicothe, and Miss Sidney Scott, of Hayesville.
William Scott, a brother of John, sr., emigrated to Vermillion township in 1822, and resided on what is known as the Michael Helbert farm. He married Miss Edwards, of Mifflin, and died in 1854, aged sixty years. He was distinguished among the pioneers as a fine marksman and a very successful hunter. Many anecdotes are related concerning his adventures. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
M.C. SCOTT (Clearcreek) Source Unknown
M.C. SCOTT was born in Zanesville, Muskingum county, Ohio, and lived there until 1835; he then removed to Savannah, and there remained until 1873, when he moved on his farm in Clear Creek township, Ashland county, on Section 11. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
O.H. SCOTT (Vermillion) p. 310(1)
O.H. Scott was born in Mifflin county, Pennsylvania, in 1821, and came with his parents to Jefferson county, Ohio when he was three years old. Hugh Scott, his father, died in Jefferson county, soon after, and at the age of six years, Mr. Scott came with his mother to Ashland county, stopping about six months in Green township, when they moved to Vermillion township, where he now lives, and located in the woods, in a small log cabin. Mr. Scott had five brothers, at that time, somewhat older than himself, who were quite a help to their mother, and from their willing hands the old forest gradually gave way to waving fields of grain. At the age of twenty-one Mr. Scott learned the carriage-making business in Hayesville, and worked about ten years at the business, when he determined to try his luck in the gold fields of California. His trip over the plains was one of interest, though full of perils and hardships. After an experience of about three years, mostly as a miner, he returned to his old home in Vermillion township. His mother died in 1855. Mr. Scott was married to Miss E. J. Tawney, of Ashland county, in 1858. They have nine children, three sons and six daughters. Two little boys died when about a year old. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
WILLIAM SCOTT (Perry) p. 329(1)
William Scott, the eldest son of James and Mary Scott, was born in Ashland county, then Wayne, in the township of Perry, in the year 1828. He resided with his parents until he became eighteen years of age, when he went forth in the world to care for himself. He learned the trade of carpenter and joiner with George Irwin, which occupation he industriously pursued for a period of eighteen years. In the meantime, he purchased a lot at Golden Corners and erected a home. Afterwards he purchased eighty acres of land situated in Kane township, Wayne county, and there resided for a period of five years. During that time, he met with a severe loss by fire, yet he withstood all these reverses, determined to conquer. Then he moved to Plain township, and bought a farm of one hundred and fourteen acres of land, which he cultivated for five years. Then he sold it and returned to Perry township, and located on a beautiful home where we now find him.
Twice he was married; first in the year 1850, to Miss Mary Ann Young. To them were born two children, both daughters: Sarah Jane, and Maria M. In 1859 his wife died leaving two children. In the year 1862, he was again married, to Miss Elizabeth Garbrerich. The fruit of this union was eight children–four sons and four daughters. Their names are as follows: Simon A., Fietta L., Henry M., Albertos, Emma E., Elsie Eugene, Arminda, Eva May, all of whom are living but Henry, who died in early childhood. Himself and wife are earnest members of the German Baptist church and have always been among its most liberal supporters. His father and mother are deceased, and lie buried side by side in the Jeromeville cemetery. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
HENRY SEALER (Perry) p. 326(1)
Henry Sealer, the eldest son of George and Amanda Sealer, was born in Lebanon county, Pennsylvania, in the year 1843. He resided with his parents until in his nineteenth year, when he left the parental roof, and went out in the service of his country. He served as a valiant soldier for eighteen months, and remained until the war was over, when he returned to his home uninjured and crowned with all the honors to which our brave boys were justly entitled. He then learned the trade of a carpenter and joiner, which occupation he industriously and successfully pursued for a period of nine years. He came to Ohio in the year 1867, and settled near Wooster, Wayne county, where he made his home for six months; he then operated in Medina county for a short time, and afterwards in Smithsville, and thence came to Perry township, to the place where we now find him. He was married in 1868 to Christiann Garn. To them have been born three children, two sons and one daughter; their names are as follows: Amanda Nora, Henry Melvin, and Uebrtis, all living. Mr. Sealer purchased the beautiful farm on which he now resides in the year 1876. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
BENJAMIN F. SEIBERT (Mohican) p. 362(1)
Benjamin F. Seibert was born in Wayne county, Ohio, February 28, 1837, and removed to Ashland county when ten years of age. Samuel Seibert, his father, was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, and his mother, Mary Mong, was born in Berkeley county, Virginia. They came to Ohio in 1824. Benjamin Seibert enlisted in company B, Sixth squadron of Ohio volunteer cavalry under Major McLaughlin, and served over four years as a private and non-commissioned officer; and he was through the campaign of eastern Kentucky under General Garfield, and through the campaign and siege of Knoxville, eastern Tennessee, under General Burnside. January 10, 1864, he re-enlisted, and participated in the campaign from Chattanooga, Tennessee, to Atlanta, Georgia under General Sherman. He was captured on the Stoneman raid near Macon, Georgia July 28, 1864, and went through the prisons at Andersonville, Charleston and Florence. After being a prisoner nearly seven months, he was exchanged about February 20, 1865, and rejoined the command near Greenborough, North Carolina, just before the surrender of General Johnston; and was mustered out of service October 30, 1865. Early in 1867, he was married to Julia A. Hassinger of Richland county, Ohio, daughter of Abraham and Sarah Hassinger. They have five children: Daisy born December 15, 1867; Charley born February 14, 1869; Minnie born August 28, 1871; Frank born October 6, 1872 and Ross November 14, 1876. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
C.S. SEIBERT (Mohican) p. 357(1)
C.S. Seibert is the son of Samuel and Mary Seibert and was born in March 1834. His parents came from Virginia to Ohio, and settled on the farm on Lake fork, on which Mr. Seibert now resides and where he owns three hundred acres. He was married in the spring of 1862 to Sophronia Finley, daughter of Abram Finley. To them were born three children: Bennett, born May 7, 1865; Mollie born December 27, 1866; and Zen born August 10, 1870. Mr. Seibert is a Republican in his political belief. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
J.W. SELBY (Mohican) p. 356(1)
J.W. Selby, son of Jefferson and Elizabeth Selby, was born in Perry township, Ashland county, April 21, 1852, and was married November 11, 1878, to Mary J. Houser, of the same county. They have one child, Clyde C., born March 26, 1879. He is a farmer and stock dealer, and lives on the home place, formerly called the Naylor farm, three-fourths of a mile east of Jeromeville. His father was born October 5, 1808, in New Lancaster, Ohio; his wife was Elizabeth Instey, of Green county, Pennsylvania, who came to Ohio with her parents when quite young. They raised a family of six children, of whom Joseph W. was the youngest. They were named: Phebe, Catherine J., Millen H., Enoch G., Sophronia, and Joseph W. Mr. Selby, sr. died October 22, 1878, aged seventy years and seventeen days. Mrs. Selby is still living, and makes her home with her son, Joseph W., who began life for himself when but sixteen years of age. In politics he is a Republican. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
PROFESSOR S.Z. SHARP (Clearcreek) p. 393(1)
Professor S.Z. Sharp, A. M., first president of Ashland College, Ohio, was born in Airy Dale, Huntingdon county, State of Pennsylvania, where his father, Solomon Sharp, also was born. He began teaching school in the year 1855, and afterwards attended the Pennsylvania State Normal school at Millersville, where he graduated in 1860. He became principal of Kishacoquillas seminary in 1861, assistant professor of languages in the Pennsylvania State Normal school in 1866, and in 1868 took charge of New Providence Normal school in the State of Tennessee. In 1875 he accepted a professorship in Maryville college, Tennessee, and in 1878 was elected president of Ashland College. His wife, Salome Z. Sharp, was the daughter of Shem Zook, a citizen of note and an extensive contributor to the agricultural department at Washington. She was born March 31, 1839, at Reedsville, Mifflin county, Pennsylvania. The children of the above are: Annie L., born April 9, 1865; Theodore S., born August 15, 1869; and Maurice, born March 17, 1874. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
DAVID SHEARER (Montgomery) p. 365(1)
David Shearer was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania November 29, 1834; when three years of age his parents removed to this State, and located in Ashland county, since which this place has been his home, with the exception of about two years he spent in the State of Iowa. March 17, 1859, he was married to Miss A. Furnish, who was born in Stark county, this State. The fruits of this union are six children, five of whom are still living, and named respectively; Ida F., who was born February 14, 1860; William T., born December 10, 1861; Susan B., born March 21, 1864; Hattie H., born April 26, 1866; Margaret M., born June 24, 1871. The one deceased was born December 11, 1875, and died August 11, 1876. Mr. Shearer is a carpenter by trade, but for the past seven years he has been associated as one of the firm of Shearer, Kagey & Co., in the saw- and planing-mill, and business connected therewith. Prior to that event he paid his attention to his trade and as a contractor. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
PHILIP SHEARER (Montgomery) p. 365(1)
Philip Shearer was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania October 7, 1829, where he resided until 1837, when his parents removed to this State and located in Montgomery township, where he has since lived, with the exception of two years he spent in Iowa. Mr. Shearer is the eighth child of Solomon and Susannah Shearer, who raised a family of thirteen children, ten of whom are still living, and all married but one. His mother is also living, but his father died some thirty-eight years since, soon after coming to this county. The subject of our sketch was married March 26, 1857 to Martha L. McCulley, who was born near Hayesville, this county, April 21, 1825. To them have been born seven children, only three of whom are living: Tully A., who was born December 17, 1863; Kittie, born October 4, 1866; and David F., born February 8, 1869. They also have one child whom they adopted, named Elizabeth H., who was born January 23, 1859. Those who are deceased all died in infancy. Mr. Shearer is one of the firm of Shearer, Kagey & Co., doing business at Ashland. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN SHEETS (Perry) Source Unknown
John Sheets fourth son of Samuel Sheets, was born in Wayne county, Ohio, December 12, 1829. In 1832 he came with his parents to Ashland county, and remained with them until the year 1868. In 1860 he married Emeline Jacoby. He is one of the most substantial farmers of Perry township; He served as trustee for four terms. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOSEPH SHEETS (Clearcreek) p. 204(1) Entry #1
JOSEPH SHEETS was born in New Jersey, about thirty miles below Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. January 21, 1792. He learned, in his native village, the trade of tailor, which he followed for many years. When he had completed his trade he went to Philadelphia and sought employment a short time, and then, in 1811, passed over the mountains to Steubenville, Ohio where he remained at his trade for about six years. Being a young man of good habits, he soon began to accumulate money. In the meantime he formed the acquaintance of Miss Nancy Harper, daughter of William Harper, of Fairfax county, Virginia, who had settled in Jefferson county, Ohio, about the year 1806. They were married. The result of the marriage was, that Mr. Harper and family concluded to accompany Mr. Sheets and his wife to, and locate in, Richland, now Ashland county. In the spring of 1817 these families started across the country, through the forest, over rough roads, for their new homes. After a fatiguing journey of several days they arrived safely at Uniontown. Mrs. Sheets states they first put up in a very inferior cabin that stood somewhere near the northeast corner of what is now known as Kellogg square, there being only three or four other cabins in town, one of which was that of Mr. Montgomery, and the other that of Mr. Groff, the tanner, where the old residence of George Swineford formerly stood. Early in the spring they resided for a short time with Mr. Montgomery, where the hardware store of Stull & Charles now stands. Mr. Sheets put up a house nearly opposite, known now as the Weisenstine building, for a small store and tailor-shop, and moved into it. This was the first store. Mr. Harper located about one mile northwest of the present site of Hayesville, where he lived until 1832, when he was accidentally killed by his team, near Plymouth, Richland county. Mr. Sheets continued to occupy his new home some years, engaged at his trade, keeping a house of entertainment, and making himself useful as a citizen. He finally disposed of his Ashland property, and purchased of Mr. Montgomery the ninety acres of land upon which South Ashland was subsequently laid out. About the year 1847 Mr. Sheets sold this tract of land to a corporation known as the South Ashland company, and removed to Vermillion township. About the year 1864 he returned to Ashland to reside on a part of his old property, and died March 6, 1866, aged seventy-four years. Mrs. Sheets still survives, aged seventy-nine years. Her memory is unimpaired, and very few persons of her age possess a more accurate recollection of the pioneers and their times. William Sheets, her oldest son, is believed to have been the first male child born within the limits of Ashland. Mrs. Sheets states that William was born January 1, 1819.
Mrs. Sheets says during the time they resided in the village it was a very lively place, especially on public days and Saturday evenings, she states it was not uncommon in those days to see five or six fights in an evening. The strong armed pugilist who could “tan two or three dog skins,” claimed high honors. On one occasion, Mrs. Sheets states, the clans had gathered for a little settlement, and prior to opening the ball, visited the distilleries to fit and prepare them for the task. In their absence, just after dark, Mrs. Sheets, butcher knife in hand, visited all the hitching posts, and cut the horses loose. She says that in fifteen or twenty minutes the village was cleared of roughs. She thinks it was a “little rough.” but a work of necessity. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOSEPH SHEETS (Montgomery) p. 220(1) Entry #2
Joseph Sheets was born in New Jersey, about thirty miles below Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, January 12, 1792, and came to Steubenville, Jefferson county, Ohio, about 1805, where he worked at his trade as tailor for seven or eight years. He came to Uniontown, now Ashland, in 1817, and was among the earliest tailors in the place. About the time of his location, he married Miss Nancy Harper, daughter of William Harper, who removed from Steubenville in 1815, and settled in Vermillion township, then of Richland, but now of Ashland county, where he remained with his family until 1832, when he was unfortunately killed by his team, while hauling wheat to Milton, near Plymouth, aged sixty-eight years. Mr. Sheets survived until March 6, 1866, when he died, aged about seventy-four years. At his decease, he had the following family: Elizabeth, Joseph (dead), William, Mariah, Martha, Samuel, Alfred (dead), Mary and Sarah. Mrs. Sheets still survives. She was born in Fairfax county, Virginia, June 12, 1796, and is over eighty-four years old, and yet possesses a clear intellect, and is quite active for one of her age. Mr. Sheets originally owned the eighty acres of land upon which South Ashland was laid out.
Mrs. Sheets lives on the south margin of town, where a large number of the old settlers of Ashland and vicinity assembled, to celebrate her eighty-fourth birthday. The old lady had been kindly invited by Mrs. Judge Kenny, to spend the afternoon with her, tea included; and while the time was passing, ladies assembled in multitudes, took possession of her house, and like busy bees went to work preparing supper. Ere Mother Sheets was aware of what was being done, all was ready, and the good old lady invited back to her own house, to be entertained there. The attendance was large, numbering, perhaps, nearly one hundred. Besides a large number of her friends and neighbors of the long ago, in the pioneer age, many of her present neighbors were there to share in the festivities, as well as to do her honor by their presence and encouragement. Mother Sheets came to this county in 1817, and was, of course, one of the earliest settlers of Montgomery township. The tables were furnished abundantly with all the good things that the market supplied, and the ladies maintained their well-deserved reputation, which has become proverbial for excelling the world in the getting up of choice viands.
Mr. John Harper, of Vermillion, one of the oldest settlers of that township, and brother of Mrs. Sheets, was present, and although he bears the burden of ninety years still appears hale and hearty. He came to Vermillion in 1816. Mrs. Polly Strickland, widow of Joseph Strickland, was also present; a fine appearing lady who bears the weight of seventy-five years, was still able to do justice to a well-filled table, and without doubt hopes to live many years, and enjoy many another agreeable meeting with old friends. Many others were there also, old and venerable, their gray hairs and wrinkled visages showed them to be toilers of years; and though aged they still had not forgotten how to enjoy themselves. Among the ladies a list was obtained of names and ages, but some, being so much older than any one dared to dream, while others were so much younger than hope ever whispered, it is deemed best not to publish the list without unanimous consent. It may not be best to individualize when all did so well, or tell tales out of school, still it was a warm day, and Mr. McNulty’s ice-cream tasted so good that it cannot well be avoided in this instance.
Mrs. Sheets desires that her thanks be publicly expressed to her friends and neighbors for their kindness and thoughtfulness in remembering her in the loneliness of age, and that her blessings will follow them in their journey of life, and that it will be long remembered as an epoch in her life.
Rev. Persons introduced Rev. Dr. Robinson, who closed the services with prayer.
Thus has passed another of our profitable and interesting pic-nic sociables, and it is hoped they will continue to be held from time to time, as long as a single pioneer is left. (Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
SAMUEL SHEETS (Perry) p. 333(1)
Samuel Sheets was born September 9, 1796, in the State of Maryland, and came to Ohio in the year 1805, and settled in Columbiana county, where he resided until he reached his majority. Soon after arriving at man’s estate he was married to Miss Elizabeth Wolf, in the year 1819. The same year he moved to Congress, Wayne county, Ohio, where he lived until the spring of 1832, when he again moved to Montgomery township, Ashland county, Ohio, and began settlement immediately in the woods, with no improvements whatever save a lonely rude cabin. By earnest labor and perseverance, Mr. Sheets was soon able to erect a more commodious home in which to place his little family. By economy, industry and good management, he succeeded in acquiring quite a fine property. He died in the year 1872, at the ripe old age of seventy-five years eleven months and twenty-three days, leaving a wife and seven children. The wife and mother survived him six years, when she was called away. Both Mr. and Mrs. Sheets were earnest members of the Lutheran church, and strong advocates of the cause of Christ. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)