JOHN C. GAINES (Hanover) p. 293(1)
John Gaines, son of Thomas Gaines, was born in Knox county, Ohio, in 1835, and married Elizabeth Robinson in 1857. They settled in Ashland county in 1869. In June 1876, he was admitted to the bar in Ashland, and began the practice of law in Loudonville the same year. He was elected to the office of justice of the peace in 1874, and again elected in 1877. He is the only Republican who ever held that office in Loudonville. He is the father of four children: Irena, Loren A., Walter S., and Clara L., deceased. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
THOMAS GAINES (Hanover) p. 292(1)
Thomas Gaines, father of John Gaines, was born in eastern Virginia, in 1811, and came to Ohio in 1833. He settled in Knox county, near Danville, and married Susannah Buckholder, of Virginia. In politics he is a Democrat; and has been a member of the Christian church for the last forty years. He is the father of eight children: Jacob B., who married Leah Elgenfritz, and lives in Knox county; John C., who married Elizabeth Robinson, and lives in Loudonville; Sarah H., wife of H. Workman, who lives in Knox county; Josie H., wife of H.H. Greer, who lives in Knox county; Mary E., wife of Dr. A.J. Hyatt; Robert S., who married Bell Baker; Louisa, who married Harmon White; Thomas, who married Ellen Bradfield, all living in Knox county, Ohio. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
W. G. GALLOWAY (Vermillion) p. 306(1)
W.G. Galloway was born in Mifflin county, Pennsylvania, November 3, 1815. His father, John Galloway, moved to Ohio October 23, 1830, and settled in Vermillion township. In 1816 he came to Ashland county, and took up a tract of land, near where he afterwards settled, and then returned to his home in Pennsylvania, where he remained until 1830, and, of course, forfeited the claim of 1816. The subject of this sketch remained with his parents until he was twenty-seven years of age, and worked on the farm. In May, 1842, he married Miss Ann Bradley, daughter of John Bradley, who died when she was a child, in the State of Delaware. She came to Ashland county with her mother a short time before the settlement of the Galloway family. They have had seven children; two sons died when quite young; the other five are living. They are all married but one son. Mr. Galloway has served the people of Ashland county six years, in the capacity of infirmary director, and has been justice of the peace nine years. Mrs. Galloway died December 3, 1877. Mr. Galloway is a man highly respected. In politics he is a Democrat, though he has many friends in both parties. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOSIAH GALLUP (Montgomery) p. 197(1)
Born at Leadyard, Connecticut in 1793, came to Uniontown, now Ashland, in the winter of 1817. He obtained a good English education, including mathematics and surveying, in the schools of his native village. In the winter of 1817, in company with a cousin Jabez Gallup, he came west in a one-horse wagon, and at the end of six weeks travel, over rough roads and amid wintry storms, landed at Cleveland. Here his cousin remained, and Mr. Gallup concluded to locate in Uniontown. His personal appearance in 1817 is remembered by a number of the pioneers. He was a reticent young man, of prepossessing manners, and noted for his intelligence, love of order, and gentlemanly bearing. He taught school five or six successive winters in and about the neighborhood of Ashland. In the summer season, having the implements of a surveyor, he was extensively employed in what are now Ashland and Richland counties, in running lines for the pioneers, surveying and locating new roads and the like. In 1822 he married Miss Vilata Pomeroy, and built a house not a great way from the present site of the jail in Ashland. While residing here he opened the first Sabbath school in Uniontown–quite a novelty at the time. The people of the village then attended “Old Hopewell,” about one mile west on the Olivesburg road.
After disposing of his Uniontown property, Mr. Gallup purchased what is now known as the Fulton farm, south of Mr. Andrews, on Mansfield road, where he resided until his death in March, 1833. He aided in the survey of a road from Richland county to Detroit, Michigan, about the year 1825-6, and was extensively employed in surveying in every part of Richland county. About the year 1824 he was elected one of the justices of the peace for Montgomery township, and it is believed was re-elected three terms. As a justice he is well remembered. At that period in history of Montgomery township, there were a great number of rugged, rollicking, fun-loving pioneers. Corn whiskey was very cheap, and was freely used on all public occasions. In fact, there were but few cabins that were without it. It was deemed essential in cold weather to keep up animal heat, and proper in warm weather to keep it down. On election days and other village gatherings, there being only three distilleries in and about town, many of the pioneers became excessively patriotic, and it was not uncommon to see half a dozen well contested pugilistic battles in the streets, and hear any amount of profanity. It is reported that after Squire Gallup got his court fairly organized, he set to work to reform the obstreperous pugilists. He commenced with moderate fines, and if the same parties reappeared he doubled the amount each time, until fighting became an expensive luxury. In this way he succeeded in checking the noisy fellows who assembled on Saturday evenings to have a spree and a few innocent (?) fights, and go home. Mr. Gallup had served a short time in the year of 1812, in Connecticut; and during his residence in Richland, now Ashland county, he served as brigade inspector of the militia. He was about forty years old at the time of his death. His widow re-married. She resides at Ottawa, Putnam county, Ohio. Her second husband’s name is J.R. Clark. Most of these particulars were obtained from Hon. M.E. Gallup, his son, who resides in Strongsville, Ohio, and was born in Ashland. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
LEVI GARDNER (Montgomery) p. 366(1)
Levi Gardner was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania June 25, 1841, where he resided until the year 1853, when his parents removed to Ashland county, Ohio, where he has since resided. March 12, 1863 he was married to Susan J. Thompson, who was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, October 21, 1838. To them have been born four children, three of whom are living; Martin M., who was born January 28, 1864; Elizabeth A., born November 13, 1872; George A., born November 17, 1874; the one deceased was Edwin T., born June 20, 1866, died April 5, 1871. Mr. Gardner’s vocation has always been that of a farmer and thresher, but for the past five or six years he has paid all his attention to the farm. By strict economy and hard work, he has placed himself and family in very good circumstances. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
SAMUEL GARRET (Hanover) p. 297(1)
Samuel Garret, the father of William Garret, was born in New Jersey in 1782, and came to Ashland county, Ohio in 1822. He first settled on the farm now owned by his son, William Garret, and was a manufacturer of woollen goods. In 1830 he erected a factory on the Black fork, and continued in the business until his death, which occurred in 1868. His factory was the first woollen factory in the county. He also built a sawmill on the farm now owned by the Yarnell heirs. He married Catharine Vaness in New Jersey, and was the father of two children: Catharine, who lives in New Jersey, and William. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
WILLIAM GARRET (Hanover) p. 297(1)
William Garret was born in New Jersey in 1810, came to Ashland county in 1836, and settled on the farm which he now owns. He is a blacksmith by trade, but since he came to Ohio, has been engaged in farming and in the lumber business. He is vice-president of the Loudonville Banking Company, and has held the office of justice of the peace nine years; has been trustee and clerk of the township, and is highly respected. He married Dense Jennings, of New Jersey, and is the father of six children, two dead and four living: Jane, wife of Daniel C. Priest, afterwards of Washington Hyatt, of Knox county: Charlotte, wife of Dr. Scott, of Loudonville; Sophia, wife of J.M. Myhart, who lives in Knox county, Ohio; Anna, wife of James Ross, of Knox county; and Virginia and William, deceased. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
ISAAC GATES (Mifflin) p. 159(1)
Peter Gates was born in New Jersey, in 1778, of German descent, and emigrated to Washington county, Pennsylvania, in 1801, and married Sarah Spech in 1803. He removed to Mifflin township, Richland county, in 1830, and deceased in 1861, aged eighty-three years. His family consisted of Martin, Jacob, John, Isaac, Elizabeth, Eunice, Margaret and Sarah. He was twice married, his second wife being Elizabeth, sister of Samuel Lewis, of Mifflin.
Isaac Gates, fourth son of Peter, was born near Hillsborough, Washington county, Pennsylvania, September 15, 1815. In 1830 he accompanied his father’s family to Richland county, Ohio. Here he grew to manhood, attending the common schools of the neighborhood in the winter season, and labored on a farm in the summer. His father’s family being in moderate circumstances, he was compelled to labor at wages to procure clothing and education, the schools at that period being sustained by individual subscriptions. In 1839 he was elected constable of Mifflin township, and was re-elected five times successively. In November, 1834, he married Susan Newcomer, daughter of Christian Newcomer, who was subsequently commissioner of Ashland county. Mr. Gates moved to the village of Mifflin, where, in 1842, he was elected justice of the peace, and twice re-elected. In 1848 he was elected sheriff, and re-elected in 1850. In 1852 he was elected auditor, and re-elected in 1854. In 1862 he was again elected auditor, and re-elected in 1864. He now resides in Ashland. Since the expiration of his second term, as auditor he has followed the business of a public salesman or auctioneer. He has been an active member of the Lutheran church since 1847, and, much of the time, a deacon or elder. His family consists of Sarah J., Halstead, Margaret, deceased, Fannie E., Nelson, William H., Christian N., Reuben H., Arminda, Elizabeth, Frank and Martin I. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN GAULT (Clearcreek) [Source Unknown]
JOHN GAULT was born at Canonsburg, Washington county, Pennsylvania, 1802, lived there two years, then removed to Butler county, Pennsylvania, remaining there four years; then returned to Washington Co., where he lived twenty-four years; then removed to Ashland county, Ohio, where he has lived forty-three years. Settled in Clear Creek township in 1831, on Section 4. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN GEIER (Orange) p. 346(1)
John Geier was born in Bavaria, Germany April 21, 1825. May 3, 1848 he left his native country in the ship Birmingham, and after a tedious voyage of sixty-five days they were overjoyed to behold New York city, in our free America. Tongue cannot describe the fears and anxieties of passengers in those early days, when the trip across the ocean required so many days and even weeks and months. He came at once to Pennsylvania and lived for five years in Beaver, Washington and Allegheny counties, and then came to Ohio and engaged as miller for John Ralston, in Orange township, Ashland county, where he remained about one year. April 6, 1854, he was married to Elizabeth Heiffner daughter of Valentine Heiffner, of Orange township, who was an early settler in Ashland county. To them were born six children: Henry, Stephen, Mary, John W., and James A. The third child, a son, died in infancy; Mary died at the age of four months and nineteen days. The four sons are living with their parents, assisting in making home pleasant. Mr. Geier for many years gave his attention to the milling business, a trade he learned in Germany. During the past nine years he has devoted his time to his farm. He is a man who takes a live interest in county and township affairs, having served as supervisor and school director a number of years. He loves his chosen trade, that of milling, but his health will not permit of his following it. He is a very competent man in a mill, and holds a certificate from Germany. In politics he is a Democrat. Both himself and his wife are members of the Christian Union church located in Orange township, near where they now live. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
DANIEL GEISELMAN (Hanover) p. 297(1)
Daniel Geiselman was born in Stark county, Ohio, in 1846; came to Loudonville in 1868, and in 1876 married Alice Webster, of Mohican township, Ashland county, Ohio. By trade he is a harness-maker, and carries on the largest line of that business in Loudonville. He is also proprietor of the most extensive livery stable in Loudonville. In politics he is a Democrat. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JACOB GIBSON (Clearcreek) p. 243(1)
JACOB GIBSON was born in York county, Pennsylvania March 31, 1797. In 1804 his parents removed to Allegheny county, where his father died, and in 1810 his mother removed to what was then Jefferson county, Ohio, and settled near the village of Cadiz, in what is now Harrison county, where his mother died, in 1814. He then learned the clothier business, serving three years at the trade. He then returned to York county, Pennsylvania, and remained there until 1817, and then went to Washington county, where he worked at the trade 1819, and in 1823 married Miss Mary Gault, removing to Ohio county, Virginia. In 1825 he came to Belmont county, Ohio, where he built a fulling-mill and carried it on until 1836, when he removed to Clearcreek township, then Richland, now Ashland county, and located one and a quarter miles west of Haneytown, now Savannah, on the Vermillion river. Here he built a fulling-mill, a carding machine, and a saw-mill, and purchased the farm upon which he now resides, one hundred and sixty acres. He carried on his mills about twenty years, in the meantime operating his farm. For the last twenty-eight years, 1851 to 1879, he has devoted his time wholly to his farm. When he came the leading pioneers of his region were the Freeborns, the Fords, the Baileys, Joseph Davis, James Gribben, Jacob Myers, Thomas Cook, John Gault, John Haney, and others. At that time the Indians had all disappeared, though there was much talk about them. The story of the captivity of Christian Fast was often related, and he often met Mr. Fast at his mills. When clearing some ground on the bottom, east of his house, he came upon the remnants of an Indian village, where the Delawares had often encamped and cooked.
He found hearths, or pot-holes, of boulders, where fires had been built, and large amounts of charcoal had been burned. The boulders had been so frequently heated that they were much stained and reddened by the fire. After Mr. Fast came, the Indians had a feast at this place. The sugar trees were much hacked, by the Indians, in tapping to make sugar, before the whites came, all over the bottom. Mr. Gibson died in 1874, of heart disease, aged seventy-six years. The family of Mr. Gibson consist of John, William, and Robert. William lives in Cleveland, and Robert in the State of Indiana. His daughters were Malinda, wife of James Chambers; Margaret Jane, deceased; Lucina, wife of Dr. William Shaw, deceased; Malissa, wife of Levi Shiply, a widow, and Leticia, single. Mr. Gibson has been an exemplary church member for many years. In 1878 he became a member of the Ashland County Pioneer society, in which his name has been enrolled for future reference. He is now, 1879, in his eighty-third year, and possesses a fair share of vigor, for a man of his age. His memory is clear and retains past events, and rehearses pioneer times with much interesting detail.
John Gibson, son of Jacob Gibson, resides on the adjoining farm in Clearcreek township, which is under a good state of culture, and quite valuable. His family is small, and they own a pleasant home. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JAMES GIBSON (Montgomery) p. 376(1)
James Gibson was born in York county, Pennsylvania, October 26, 1807. He was the youngest child of James and Elizabeth (Mull) Gibson. The mother was of English- German decent, and the father was a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. They removed to Ashland county in the spring of 1835, coming all the way with wagons, and settled on the farm now owned by the subject of this sketch. The father died in 1851 or 1852, aged eighty-five years; the mother died in 1853, aged eighty-six years. James, jr., was married to Margaret, daughter of Henry Spafford, in January, 1853. To them have been born four children, three of whom are still living: John, Laura, and Catharine, who reside at home. Elizabeth died in 1865, age six years. Mr. Gibson has followed the vocation of farming and has a finely improved farm of one hundred and eighty-eight acres, with fine buildings. In politics he is a Democrat, has been supervisor twice, and school director twice. He is a well-preserved man of seventy-three years. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
WILLIAM W. GIBSON (Montgomery) p. 379(1)
William W. Gibson was born in Harrison county, Ohio, March 17, 1826, where he resided until the age of fifteen years, when he with his mother removed to this county, his father having died prior to that time. Mr. Gibson is now living with his fourth wife. He has buried three wives and seven children. His present wife’s maiden name was Hannah C. Maxwell, who was born in Wayne county, Ohio, May 17, 1837, but this county has been her home from infancy. She was married to Mr. Gibson May 23, 1877. Our subject is by trade a blacksmith, and has followed that as his vocation from boyhood until the past few years, since which he has paid his attention to his farm, and intends to make that his future business. By good management he has made for himself a comfortable home. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
HENRY GILBERT (Hanover) p. 296(1)
Henry Gilbert was born in Cornwall county, England, in 1825, came to America in 1843, and first settled in Coshocton county, Ohio, where he served an apprenticeship with Jacob Wagner, cabinet-maker; came to Loudonville in June, 1849, and opened a furniture store on Spring street, where he still remains. Mr. Gilbert has been elected councilman, and member of the school board, for several terms, and is a member of the Baptist church. In 1851 he married Elizabeth Sprague, and is the father of ten children, of whom nine are living: Henry, who married Hattie Scott, of Loudonville; John F., William J., Clement G., Thomas B., Lew H., George, Jesse, and Joseph N. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
DR. SAMUEL GLASS (Montgomery) p. 171(1)
Was born in Wayne county, Ohio, April 14, 1818. In early life he possessed no advantages of education beyond the district schools. The first eighteen years of his life were occupied in clearing the forests and in farm labor. Wages were low, and it took a long time to accumulate sufficient money to enter upon a course of study. He grew up in habits of industry and frugality, and these habits became a part of his mature years. His first effort was at school teaching. In 1840, he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Harrison Armstrong, of Hayesville, in this county, and in 1842 attended medical lectures at Cincinnati. In 1843, he opened an office in Mifflin, of this county, where he remained three years. In April, 1845, he married Miss Amanda A. Armentrout, of Hayesville, and opened an office in that place. In the winter of 1847-8 he attended a second course of lectures at Jefferson Medical college, Philadelphia, where he graduated. Shortly after his return, Dr. H. Armstrong retired from practice, and his son, Dr. David Armstrong, and Dr. S. Glass entered into partnership. This continued until the decease of Dr. Armstrong, which occurred in 1852. Dr. Glass continued in practice, a part of the time with Dr. Yocum, until he was elected State senator in 1861-2. He again resumed practice and continued until 1865, when he removed to Ashland, and formed a partnership with Dr. D. S. Sampsell in 1866, with whom he continued until his last illness. In the meantime he became a member of the Ohio State Medical association, and president of the Medical society of Ashland county. He died of congestion of the brain, February 26, 1873. Dr. Glass was a large, well-developed man, full six feet high, and would weigh about two hundred pounds. He had a large brain, a strong will, and tremendous endurance. He performed an uncommon amount of labor, in his practice, which was always quite extended. He accumulated a handsome fortune, and was esteemed a very thorough and successful physician. He was childless. His widow resides in Ashland. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
THOMAS GLENN (Mohican) p. 363(1)
Thomas Glenn was born in 1834 and was married February 14, 1865 to Elizabeth Crailey, who was born June 24, 1841. They have a family of seven children: Anna B., born April 11, 1866; Opha A., born July 19, 1867; John W., born August 2, 1869; Harry LeRoy, born December 27, 1870; Emma J., born September 15, 1872; Branden B., born October 28, 1877 and Thomas R., born February 13, 1875. The father of Thomas Glenn was born in Harford county, Maryland, November 11, 1794 and died May 14, 1868; his mother was born December 1, 1800 and died May 30, 1841. They were among the early settlers of Ashland county. Mr. Glenn was descended from Irish stock. He became a soldier during the war of 1812, and participated in the battle of North Point. His relatives were southerners, and before the late war, were slaveholders. Thomas Glenn, the subject of this sketch enlisted in 1864, at Jeromeville, in company I, One Hundred and Sixty-third, Ohio national guards and was with his regiment during the hundred days’ service, in Virginia and participated in the three days’ battle at Petersburgh. He was fourth sergeant in his company and was mustered out of the service at Columbus, Ohio, September 10, 1864. Both himself and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church. In politics he is a Republican. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
WILLIAM GLENN (Vermillion) p. 302(1)
William Glenn was born, in 1822, in Mohican township Ashland county, Ohio. His father Joshua Glenn emigrated from Harford county, Maryland, in 1818. He was one of the pioneers of Ashland county. His home was a log cabin, and was surrounded on all sides by forest. Here the subject of this sketch was born. He remained and labored on the farm until he was over thirty years of age, and many an old oak fell beneath the heavy blows of his axe. The forest gradually gave way and in its place waving fields of grain were to be seen. On September 23, 1852, Mr. Glenn married Miss Caroline Ewing, daughter of William Ewing, of Vermillion township, another of Ashland county’s pioneers, having come from Pennsylvania to Ohio in 1813 and located in Mohican township on the 17th day of March, 1853. William and his wife moved to Green township, on a farm owned by his father. Here they remained four years, when he purchased a farm in Milton township, and moved there. He sold this farm some two years later and returned to his mother’s farm in Mohican township. After a year’s stay there he bought a farm in Mohican township and lived there five years, at the end of which time he sold and moved to a farm owned by his father in-law, in Montgomery township. At the end of one year he bought and moved where he now lives. This, in all probability, will be his future home. They have four children. One daughter and three sons. One son is married and lives on his father’s farm. Mr. Glenn has never sought public office. He is a Republican in politics. His wife and daughter are members of the English Lutheran church at Jeromeville. Mr. Glenn does not belong to any church, but is in hearty sympathy with the truths of the Bible. The son is a member of the Presbyterian church at Hayesville. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
CHAUNCY GOODYEAR (Sullivan) p. 354(1)
Chauncy Goodyear was born in Genoa, Cayuga county, New York in 1807, and received a common school education. He came to Ohio in 1843 and first settled in Fitchville, Huron county, where he remained about one year, when he came to Ashland county, and first settled on the farm now owned by George French; he has held the office of township trustee four years, is a member of the Congregational church, in which he holds the office of deacon, and contributes liberally to the support of the church and is respected by all who know him. His first wife died in 1844. She was the mother of three children. After her death he married Sophronia Webb, of Homer, Courtland county, New York, who has one child; but of the four children only two are living: William F., who married Sylvia L., Biggs, and Sarah S., wife of George E. French of Ashland county. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
WILLIAM F. GOODYEAR (Sullivan) p. 354(1)
William F. Goodyear was born in Cayuga county, New York in 1841, and came to Ohio with his father where he received a common school education, and taught school in Ashland county, two terms. At present he is engaged in farming. In 1863 he enlisted in company E, One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Ohio volunteer infantry, under Captain Junius R. Sanford, and served until July 17, 1865. In 1865, he married Sylvia L. Biggs. In politics he is a Republican, and is highly respected by all who know him. He is the father of two children: Clinton L. and Timothy T. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN GOULD (Sullivan) p. 354(1)
John Gould was born in Massachusetts July 29, 1775, and married Mary Stearns of Massachusetts, who was born June 10, 1777. In 1824 he came to Ohio, and first settled in Ashland county, on the farm now owned by the Gould heirs. He held the office of justice of the peace eighteen years and was postmaster several years. In politics he was an old-line Whig, and was commander of the militia in the State of Vermont. He died May 2, 1851, and his wife died January 21, 1851. He was the father of six children: Olive, who was the wife of John M. Madison, of New York; Enos, who married Philena Rice, of Ashland county; Brittania, wife of Levi Mitchel, of New York; Rufus, who married Mary E. Fletcher; Hannah, wife of Clement March of Ashland county, and Lucretia S. wife of Norman Mellen, of New York. The children are now all dead except Lucretia, wife of Norman Mellen. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
RUFUS GOULD (Sullivan) p. 355(1)
Rufus Gould was born in Ontario county, New York in 1810, came to Ohio with his parents in 1824, and received a common school education. On October 17, 1832, he married Mary E. Fletcher, in Medina county, Ohio, and was engaged in farming and stock-raising. He held the offices of township trustee and constable for a number of years, and in politics was a Republican. On December 5, 1871, he died. He was the father of one child–John T., who married Charity Riggs, and lives in Ashland county. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN S. GRABELL (Vermillion) p. 310(1)
John S. Grabell was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1818. In the fall of 1833 he left Germany in company with his parents and arrived in America Christmas week of 1833, spending the holidays of that year in Philadelphia. In January, 1834, they left Philadelphia for Ashland county, Ohio, traveling some five or six weeks by team, and located in Vermillion township. Mr. Grabill was fifteen years old when he arrived in Ashland county, and has resided in Ashland county ever since. His father died in 1845, and his mother at a later date. Mr. Grabill has given his whole time to farming, and by industry, economy and good management occupies a front rank among the best farmers of Ashland county. On August 21, 1845, he married Miss Nancy Harper, of Vermillion township. They had one son, Samuel, born August 29, 1846, who was married March 13, 1877, to Miss Anna Ewing, by whom he has two children. Father and son live in the old house happily. In 1877 Mr. Grabill made a southern tour, visiting Atlanta, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Charleston, and many other cities, returning by the way of Washington City. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
FRANCIS GRAHAM #1 (Montgomery) p. 206(1)
FRANCIS GRAHAM was born in Delaware county, Pennsylvania, in 1792. He removed with his parents to Erie, Pennsylvania, in 1805. Here he entered a mercantile establishment and learned the business, and remained until the close of the war. In 1815 the firm for which he was employed was left in possession of a large stock of unsold goods. Hard times followed the war, and the firm concluded to transport a part of their goods to Detroit, in the hope of finding a readier sale. In November 1815, the company dispatched Mr. Graham overland with five large sled loads of goods. He and those who accompanied him passed leisurely up the southern shore of Lake Erie, until they reached the mouth of Huron. Here they were stopped by the melting of the snow, and compelled to abandon the trip to Detroit. The goods belonged to Sanford & Reed, of Erie, Pennsylvania, a firm that has since accumulated its millions. Mr. Graham was compelled, under the circumstances, to rent a house at Huron and open a store there. He succeeded well in the sale of the goods, and one of the partners visiting him, sanctioned all that he had done. He remained here four years. In 1819 he settled in Sandusky City, prior to that time known as Ogontz’s town and Portland. In 1821 Mr. Graham arrived in Uniontown, from Sandusky City. He rented and occupied the room where Joseph Sheets had had a small stock of goods, and boarded with Mr. Sheets. This lot was what is now known as the Weisenstine property. Mr. Graham conducted business in this establishment some time, and then put up a store-room where Millington’s drug store since stood, now the Schneider bakery. He continued to do a thrifty business until the financial crash of 1837 to 1844, when, owing to the pernicious effects of the credit system, he was compelled to wind up his affairs. For years he had done an extensive business, and exerted himself to find a market for all the surplus products of this locality. Financial panics are remorseless. Many a good man has been crushed that would have survived if time had been given. Although he had furnished a market for nearly everything, many times against his own interest, when hard times came, the unfeeling grip of the law seized the little that had been left him, and left him in distress. He never recovered from the blow.
Shortly after opening his store the necessity of a post office was felt. Mr. Graham sent a petition to Judge Sloan, the member of Congress from this district, asking the erection of a post-office at Uniontown. The post-office directory showed that there was already a post-office by that name in Ohio. The name was then changed to Ashland, and the village with it, after the home of Henry Clay, and the office created; and Mr. Graham was made the first postmaster.
Mr. Graham, some years since, after his retirement from business, was elected justice of the peace of Montgomery township, and acquitted himself ably. In September, 1875, when the Pioneer and Historical society of Ashland county was organized, Mr. Graham was elected the first president.
He is now about eighty-three years of age, He resides in a comfortable little home, and, in company with his excellent lady, is spending the evening of his days reflecting calmly upon the past and preparing to pass to a better and happier land. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
FRANCIS GRAHAM #2 p. 250(1)
Francis Graham was born in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, October 14, 1792. His father removed to Crawford County, in 1797. In 1812 Francis was in Erie County, and in 1814 entered the establishment of Reed & Sanford, dry goods merchants, as a clerk, in the village of Erie. In 1815, Reed & Sanford being overstocked with goods from the war, sent him west with a stock of goods intended for Detroit. These goods were transported on sleds, and when he reached Huron, Ohio, the snow disappeared and he was obliged to open a store there. He spent four years in the service of Reed, Sanford & Co., at Huron. The stock being disposed of Mr. Graham entered a new store in Portland, now Sandusky City, as a clerk for William Townsend, where he continued until October, 1821, when he purchased a new stock of goods, and located at Uniontown, Richland, now Ashland, Ashland county. He rented a room of the late Joseph Sheets (died in 1866), which contained a small stock of goods, owned by Mr. Sheets, and of which he had sold, prior to the arrival of Mr. Graham. He boarded with Mr. Sheets, at one dollar a week, for some time. He continued actively in the mercantile business until about 1844, when financial panics compelled him to wind up his business. Since that period he is been miscellaneously employed. He has served two terms as justice of the peace in the meantime. He yet (1880) possesses considerable mental and bodily vigor, and is spending his remaining days in domestic quiet. At the organization of the County Pioneer Association, September 10, 1875, he was unanimously elected its first president, and served one year. He was married to Amelia Shepherd, March 13, 1823. The family consisted of Francis A., Franklin S., Helen S., Henry C., John P., Augustine C., and Alice E. Amelia A., Helen S., Henry C., Augustine C., and an infant, are dead. Mrs. Graham, although well advanced in years, retains all her bodily strength, and much mental clearness. There are only three members of the family living: Franklin S., of Illinois; John P., of Ashland, and Alice E., married to Mr. J.H. Black, a merchant of Mansfield, Ohio.
Mr. Graham gives the following early incidents of the village when he landed:
The first grist-mill in Uniontown, now Ashland, was owned by Henry Wetzel, and was a log building, and had one run of stones.
The first saw-mill was erected by Seth Cook, on the creek, at the west of town, near what is now the cemetery.
The first school was kept by Mr. Williamson, a cripple, in 1821 and 1822.
The first church was erected by the Methodists, on the lot where the courthouse now stands, and was of stone.
The first blacksmith was the late Samuel Urie. The shop stood where the citizens’ bank was built, on Main street.
The first cabinet-maker and undertaker was the late Colonel Alexander Miller, who resided on the Daniel Gray lot.
The first tinner was John Croft, who was secured by the late George Swineford, on the lot where the agricultural works of Whitney & Co. now are. The next, the late Hugh Davis, at the east end of town.
The first carding-machine was owned by the late Andrew Drumb, associated with his brother, the late Uriah Drumb.
(Transcribed and contributed by Linda J. Collins)
JOHN GREENLEE (Lake) p. 150(1)
* This sketch was prepared by a committee appointed by the Historical Society of Ashland county, consisting of Andrew Moss, George W. Urie, and George W. Hill.
John Greenlee was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, near French creek, in 1804. William Greenlee, his father, visited Ohio in the spring of 1811, and located a farm near James L. Priest, in that part of Lake township subsequently annexed to Washington township, Holmes county. In making that trip on horseback, he passed down the banks of the Ohio river to Wellsburgh, Virginia, crossed at the ferry, and traveled west to Cadiz, thence to Cambridge, thence to Zanesville, thence up the banks of the Muskingum river to the village of Coshocton, thence up the bank of the White-woman to the Lake fork, and thence through an unbroken forest, by Indian paths, to the cabin of James L. Priest. Mr. Priest had been a neighbor in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, and had located near what is now “Priest’s Prairie,” in the summer of 1809. After a stay of ten or fifteen days, Mr. Greenlee became so pleased with the country that he resolved to select and locate upon a tract of land near Mr. Priest. He returned to Pennsylvania, and arranged for removing his family to Ohio. By the first of October, 1811, he had completed his arrangements, and commenced his journey through the forests with one two-horse and one four-horse covered wagon, loaded with household goods, provisions, grain, and his family, consisting of his wife and seven children–six girls and one boy, John. He also brought a few head of cows. He crossed the Ohio river, and came by the trail through Canton, Massillon, and Wooster, all mere villages, the trail being narrow and but little traveled. There were but few cabins along the route, and he was compelled to camp by the wayside, pretty nearly the entire distance. When he arrived at the village of Wooster, he found no opened path to the Priest cabin, and hence preceded his teams with an ax, cutting the undergrowth and prepared a wagon road. In this way his progress was slow, and it took the major part of one month to perform the entire journey. He finally arrived safely, and was assisted by his old friend, and eight or ten friendly Indians, among whom were Thomas Jelloway, Tom Lyon, Billy Dowdee, Thick-necked John, Monos, and Billy Montour, and a few white men, in putting up a cabin.
The pioneer families within a circuit of six miles are believed to have been, at that time, Mr. Finley, Mr. Eagle, Samuel Marvin, William and John Hendrickson, Elijah Bolling, William Greenlee, and James L. Priest. The cabins of Messrs. Priest and Greenlee were near the old Huron trail, and great numbers of Delawares, from Sandusky, Green and Jerometown, passed on their way to and from the old Indian settlement on the Tuscarawas during the fall of 1811 and the spring of 1812, but all remained quiet and friendly until after Hull’s surrender at Detroit, in August, 1812. This was followed by the removal of the Green and Jerometown Delawares, and the assassination of Ruffner, the Zimmers, and James Copus, by the hostile Indians from Sandusky. The pioneers, in the Priest neighborhood, converted Mr. Priest’s double cabin into a block-house, and enclosed by pickets about one-fourth of an acre of ground around it. The fort was a few hundred yards west of the Lake fork, and near where the railroad crosses that stream. The settlers near Odells lake joined those of the Priest settlement, in the erection of the stockade, and came there for safety. The families who entered the fort were those of James L. Priest, William Greenlee, William and John Hendrickson, Elijah Bolling, Samuel Marvin, Nathan Odell, Joshua and Thomas Oram, and Elijah Chilcoat. The settlers remained in the fort but a short time, and returned to their cabins. The fort, however, remained a sort of headquarters for the little colony during the continuance of the war, although the red men of the northwest failed to put in an appearance. While the war progressed, in 1813, Mr. John Greenlee relates that on the tenth of September he distinctly heard the roar of artillery in the naval engagement between Perry and the British commodore on Lake Erie; but, although the day was clear, supposed at first it was a heavy storm or hurricane in the northwest. In a few days the news of Perry’s triumph was heralded over the country.
In a short time, the settlement was increased by the arrival of John, Henry, and Reuben Newkirk, James Gray, Thomas Baker, Mr. Ellsworth, John, Jacob, Alexander, and George Emrich, Peter Wycoff, John Smith, George Marks, Jabez Smith, and Robert Chandler. In 1824 William Greenlee sold his farm to Calvin Hibbard, and purchased the homestead on section fourteen, southwest quarter. Here, William Greenlee died in 1854, aged eighty-two years and three and a half months, and at his decease John Greenlee came into possession of the homestead. John Greenlee married Miss Susannah Warner, of Lake township, August 10, 1836, and resided on the homestead about sixty-three years. He was a successful and thrifty farmer, a good citizen, and an upright and honest man. He did his full share in improving highways, building schoolhouses, erecting churches, and in supporting public charities. His family was numerous, consisting of thirteen children, a part of whom, with his beloved wife, survive him. Mr. Greenlee, after a brief illness, deceased on the eighteenth of June 1877, and was followed to the grave, his final resting place, by a large number of his old neighbors and friends.
When he entered Lake township, that part of the county was covered with its native forest, and abounded in wolves, bear, deer, and in other wild animals. The shrill yells of the red man often echoed amid the wilds, as he passed up and down the ancient trails. These have long since disappeared, for new men and new ideas. Civilization, with schoolhouses, villages, churches, railroads, and other improvements, has taken possession of the land. How great the change, even in a lifetime of sixty-four years! The Indian has gone toward the setting sun to find his last retreat; the forest and the hunter’s sport have gone, in exchange for the delightful pursuits of agriculture, and the independence of a farmer’s home. (Transcribed by Penny Hanes PHanes1368@aol.com) (Contributed by Russ Shopbell)
WILLIAM GREENLEE (Lake) p. 162(1)
In the spring of 1811 Mr. Greenlee visited James L. Priest, a former neighbor, from Crawford county, Pennsylvania. Mr. Greenlee came by the way of Harrison county to Zanesville, then a new village, and up the banks of the Muskingum, the White-woman and the Lake fork on horseback. He found but few settlers between Mr. Priest and Zanesville. He selected and located a farm adjoining Mr. Priest, and returned for his family by the route he came. In October, 1811, he and his family, consisting of his wife, six daughters, and one son, started for the forests of Ohio. He had two teams, one with two and the other with four horses. The wagons were covered with linen canvas, and contained such household goods and provisions as were deemed essential to the comfort of a new settler. The route was through the village of Canton to what is now Wooster, and thence to the Lake fork. The trail was so narrow that Mr. Greenlee was compelled to widen it at many points before his teams could pass. His family slept in the wagons most of the way, doing their cooking by the side of the trail, nights and mornings. The route was wild and romantic, and it required some eight or ten days to complete the journey. He erected a plain log cabin, by the aid of Mr. Priest and a few friendly Indians, and moved into it. He resided on this farm until 1814, and sold it to Calvin Hibbard, father of Edward Hibbard, one of the first commissioners of Ashland county. He then purchased where John Greenlee, his only son, now resides. When he landed in Lake, there were but the families of J. L. Priest, Samuel Marvin, William Hendrickson, Elijah Bolling and John Hendrickson, in what is now Washington township, Holmes county. The next settlement was that of the Odells, which contained the families of Joshua Oram, Thomas Oram, and John Oram, and Mordecai Chicote, near Odells lake. On the morning of the tenth of September 1813, John Greenlee went in search of his father’s horses, which had strayed in the direction of Odell’s lake. About the middle of the day, a heavy, roaring sound was heard in the northwest, amid the forest. It resembled distant thunder, and he feared a tremendous tornado was approaching. What excited his surprise was, the sky was clear and cloudless, and the roaring seemed a phenomenon. In the afternoon he abandoned the search and returned home, convinced that a great storm was approaching. His parents and others had heard the same rumbling sound, and were unable to account for it. In a few days the little colony learned the particulars of the victory achieved by Commodore Perry over Commodore Barclay and the British fleet; and this accounted for the mysterious rumbling of the 10th. The sound of Perry’s guns had been conveyed down the valleys a distance of over seventy miles. It is related that the heavy cannonading was heard at Cleveland, about the same distance. Mr. Greenlee is a man of intelligence and unquestioned veracity, and relates the incident with minuteness and patriotic pride. William Greenlee died in 1854, age about eighty-two years. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
WILLIAM GREGG (Clearcreek) p. 313(1)
WILLIAM GREGG came to Ashland county in 1829; he is a native of Ireland, and was born May 12, 1826. March 15, 1855, he was married to Martha Jane Tenant, by whom he had four children, three of whom are living. March 10, 1862, his wife died. He was married again September 11, 1862, to Martha Graham, by whom he had five children. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
ADAM GRETZINGER (Green) p. 281(1)
Adam Gretzinger, son of John B. Gretzinger, born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1842, came to Ohio with his father, and in 1867 married Rachel Irvin. By trade he is a tanner, but is at present engaged in the livery business. In 1862, he enlisted in the First Baltimore light artillery, under Captain F.W. Alexander, and took part in the battles of Fredericksburgh and Winchester. Politically, he is a Democrat; and is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran church. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JOHN B. GRETZINGER (Green) p. 281(1)
John B. Gretzinger, born in Germany in 1809, came to Ashland county in 1843, and settled in Perrysville. In 1847, he moved to Erie, Pennsylvania, where he remained five years, when he with his family returned to Perrysville, and have remained there ever since; he is a tanner by trade, and at present is engaged in that business; is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran church. In politics, he was a Democrat until 1849, but since that time has voted the Republican ticket. He is the father of eight children: Harmon, William, Augustus and Frederick, who died in infancy; Charles, who married Rosella Workman; Matilda, who is the wife of Joseph McClure; and Emeline, who is the wife of Orville F. Ayres. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JAMES GRINOLD (Ruggles) p. 180(1)
Was born in Washington county, New York, May 26, 1814. Removed to Belleville, Richland county, Ohio, in company with his brother Thomas, in 1828. Resided there until 1830, then located in Berlin, Huron county, and in 1836 removed to Ruggles Corners, where his brother had settled a few months prior. He married Sarah Taylor in 1837. He is a cooper by trade, but is now a farmer. He is an active Democratic partisan, and takes an influential part in the party. He was deputy sheriff from 1852 to 1854. Thomas became justice of the peace in 1836, and was defeated in 1839, political lines being closely drawn. He deceased, of consumption, in October, 1846. James at present resides at the Corners. He has no children. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
BENJAMIN GROSSCUP (Milton) p. 395(1)
Benjamin Grosscup, son of Paul and Rebecca Grosscup, was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, September 15, 1818. Benjamin’s father was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania in 1784, and his mother, whose maiden name was Rebecca Shearer was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, in 1786, and died in 1859. They were married in 1810. Paul Grosscup removed to Milton township, Ashland county, Ohio in 1830 with his family, consisting of five sons and two daughters, of whom two are now living; Benjamin and Daniel. Benjamin owned the farm in Milton township, which he helped to clear, until 1872, when he removed to Ashland. He was married in 1843 to Susannah Bowermaster, who was born October 14, 1821, and came to Milton township with her parents in 1842. Frederick Bowermaster, her father, was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, in 1782, and was married to Catharine Mohler, of Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, who was born in 1782 and died in 1857. They raised a family of four children, one son and three daughters. Mr. Benjamin Grosscup has had four children: Lehman, who died; Peter S., born February 15, 1852; Frederick P., born April 5, 1854; Benjamin S., born October 14, 1858. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
E.J. GROSSCUP (Montgomery) p. 378(1)
E.J. Grosscup was born in Milton township, Ashland county, June 17, 1842. His parents were Daniel and Fiana Grosscup who were natives of Westmoreland and Lancaster counties, respectively. They raised a family of four children–E.J., Daniel, Fiana, and Mary A. The early life of E.J. Grosscup was spent at trading and farming until 1863-64, when he was engaged in the mercantile business at Mansfield, Ohio. December 24, 1863 he was married to Emma Pifer, and in the spring of 1865, removed back to Milton township, near the western line, where he engaged in farming. Early in 1866 he again removed to a farm two and a half miles west of Ashland, where he remained until March, 1878. In 1868 he was elected township treasurer, which office he held until 1878. In April 1875, he was appointed by Judge D.W. Whittmore school examiner for the county, which office he held for three years, and was re-appointed in 1878. From the time of his appointment he has acted as secretary of the examining board. In June 1878, he was nominated by the Democratic party as a candidate for the office of county auditor, to which he was elected in the fall of the same year. His children are: Mary G., born August 21, 1869 and Ella M., born September 6, 1873. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
JACOB H. GRUBB (Montgomery) p. 173(1)
JACOB GRUBB was born in Union county, Pennsylvania, October 18, 1800. His ancestors were Franco-German. In his youth he attended the schools of his neighborhood, and obtained a fair knowledge of the English branches. After arriving at the age of about sixteen years, he served an apprenticeship to learn the trade of cabinet-maker. After completing his trade, he married Miss Hannah Robison, daughter of David Robison, of Union county, Pennsylvania. In 1823 he removed, with his wife and infant daughter Mary, now wife of David J. Rice, to Uniontown, now Ashland, Ohio. At that time the village was quite small. He rented a small log cabin of Christopher Mykrantz, situated in the rear of what is now the town hall, where he resided and worked at the cabinet making business; he was the second cabinet-maker who settled in Uniontown, the late Alexander Miller being the first. After residing there some years, he removed to his late residence, on the north side of Main street, where he continued to work at his trade. He carried on business continuously for nearly fifty years, and retired from active labor some four or five years since. Many of the pioneers yet possess bureaus made by him more than forty years ago. His work was of the most substantial character and finish, and was noted for its durability.
Mr. Grubb stood high among his fellow-townsmen in consequence of his integrity and moral worth. In 1823 he and his excellent lady assisted in the organization of the first class of the Methodist Episcopal church of Ashland. The class long met at the residence of John Smith, which stood on the lot subsequently occupied by the residence of the late Christopher Mykrantz. His membership in the Methodist Episcopal church of Ashland was, therefore, continuous for a period of fifty-four years, during which he adorned his profession by an upright and exemplary Christian life. He passed through all the inconveniences and hardships of pioneer Methodism; having for many years worshipped in a cabin, and in the great assemblies in the forest, known as camp meetings, and freely expressed the opinion that the plainness of primitive Methodist manners was greatly conducive to true piety. Mr. Grubb and all the members of his family possessed fine musical taste, and delighted to join in the exercise of singing, as well as to take part in instrumental music.
The family of Mr. Grubb consisted of five sons–John, Frank, Burr, and two deceased; and six daughters–Mary, wife of D.J. Rice; Lorilla, wife of Samuel Davis; Rosanna, wife of Henry McCormick, and three deceased, and his aged wife, Hannah. He died January 9, 1878, of paralysis, aged seventy-seven years, two months, and twenty-one days. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
GEORGE GUTHRIE (Green) p. 277(1)
George Guthrie, son of Richard Guthrie, was born in Ashland county, August 15, 1822, and April 20, 1848 married Ellen Dunbar. He has been engaged in farming all his life. He is the father of eight children–William D., who married Emeline Kindle; Edward, who married Harriet Drara–both live in Ashland county; Benjamin; Jane, deceased, George W., Isabella, and Lizzie. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)
RICHARD GUTHRIE (Green) p. 277(1)
Richard Guthrie, born in Pennsylvania, came to Ashland county in 1814, and settled on the farm now owned by Benjamin Castor and Jacob Robinson. He bought his farm off the school lands. He was a distiller by trade, and built a distillery on his farm, which he run for about forty years. He was a member of the Presbyterian church, and in politics was a Democrat. He married Mary VanScoyoc of Pennsylvania, and was the father of thirteen children: John, Margaret, Stephen, Sarah, George, Jane, Keziah, Lewis, Elizabeth, Hannah, William, Susan, and Simon. (Transcribed and contributed by Russ Shopbell)